Sheffield is better known than I thought!

And Sheffield even has an airport. Flying home from Tenerife to "Robin Hood Doncaster Sheffield" airport, we looked for our flight on the destination board at the airport and it simply said SHEFFIELD..:thumbsup:

And Sheffield even has an airport. Flying home from Tenerife to "Robin Hood Doncaster Sheffield" airport, we looked for our flight on the destination board at the airport and it simply said SHEFFIELD..:thumbsup:

Oops! Does that mean that Doncaster is part of Sheffield in the eyes of the world?

Or is it that Doncaster only exists in the minds of people who live in Doncaster. :hihi:

I believe the film The Full Monty put Sheffield on the map.

I lived down south pre-Full Monty, and they all seemed to know something about Sheffield.

To be fair, The Full Monty only really appealed to a subset of people across the globe.

i.e. Bored housewives and single women. They didn't really care about the location. Men with bare butts was there main thing. Location! what location?

When I lived down south, there was many a southern belle who commented on how good my bum looked in the soft glow of the Moon.

Nothing to do with where I came from.

Full Monty does not apply.

A good percentage of the population of Indonesia is aware of Sheffield but they always add 'United' or 'Wednesday' after it.

A good percentage of the population of Indonesia is aware of Sheffield but they always add 'United' or 'Wednesday' after it.
And it ain't only Indonesia. When I've mentioned to people in such places as Germany, Russia, Mexico and Hungary that I come from Hillsborough, they know exactly where I was brought up! But usually they've never heard of my boyhood heroes - I mean players such as Redfern Froggatt, Albert Quixall and Derek Dooley...:(

And it ain't only Indonesia. When I've mentioned to people in such places as Germany, Russia, Mexico and Hungary that I come from Hillsborough, they know exactly where I was brought up! But usually they've never heard of my boyhood heroes - I mean players such as Redfern Froggatt, Albert Quixall and Derek Dooley...:(

My own personal favourite was the American guy who started waxing lyrical to me about John Harkes on the District line tube in 2003 after seeing my Wednesday shirt!

I think that Sheffield is known for more than a couple of duff football teams.

Oooh!!! Ouch!!!!! There'll be repercussions!!!!

Oooh!!! Ouch!!!!! There'll be repercussions!!!!

I doubt it, everyone knows that our teams are pretty average.

Not like when I was in my youth, and everybody flocked to see Alex Sabella. ;)

Your right, Sheffs great i love it, wish I could get back more.

How dare you say that? On this forum you are supposed to moan and slag off everthing there is about Sheffield.:hihi:

It's a great place. I have friends that live abroad and when we meet up they always tell me how much they miss the place, it's people and their sense of humour.

Edited by verona

Not like when I was in my youth, and everybody flocked to see Alex Sabella. ;)
Some of us can remember Ron Starling.... Bloomin' heck - am I really THAT old?.:o

There's a little one-horse town called Sheffield in Texas; I remember seeing it from the window of a Greyhound bus en route from El Paso to San Antonio...

Some of us can remember Ron Starling.... Bloomin' heck - am I really THAT old?.:o

There's a little one-horse town called Sheffield in Texas; I remember seeing it from the window of a Greyhound bus en route from El Paso to San Antonio...

I know what you're saying Banker, that crafty age thing seems to just creep up on us!

Just to be clear, I am talking about the City of Sheffield. UK.