Sheffield is better known than I thought!

I read "having little regard" as a criticism, an implication that they should have more regard.

I think I'd say that they have little knowledge of Sheffield, as expected.

I believe the film The Full Monty put Sheffield on the map.

Along with it's music - joe cocker, jarvis cocker, human league, heaven 17, def leppard, ect.

I should be surprised that the people I speak to do not seem to fit into the general census of opinion on this thread. I talk to people in the US; Canada; Germany; Spain; and Hungary and they all knew quite a lot about Sheffield. Perhaps it is just the people you get to know and base your thoughts on those few as a generality?

Considering the population of Sheffield and it's surrounding towns and cities with their populations too, I'd be surprised if not many do know at least a little about Sheffield, (taking the Internet into account) even if it's only the contents of some Sheff tarts knickers.

In my experience, a lot of people down South now a lot about our parks, hills, and neighbouring moor land, don't know how or why!

I do know that I missed them when I was away.

I read "having little regard" as a criticism, an implication that they should have more regard.

I think I'd say that they have little knowledge of Sheffield, as expected.

Yeah, I know what your saying.

But. Thinking about it. I bet there are many people in Pakistan and India that know much more about Sheffield than many people who live here.

Why might you expect that, can you name four Canadian cities?

um, yes. Ottawa, Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal at least, really anybody ought to be able to name.

what was interesting about that guy was that he'd visited the UK, on some sort of training programme with British Aerospace, and stayed for a month, but had never heard of Sheffield. On a small average map, it just looks like lots of other places like Leeds and Nottingham.

Yeah, I know what your saying.

But. Thinking about it. I bet there are many people in Pakistan and India that know much more about Sheffield than many people who live here.

That might be because of family connections, rather than something they have learned at School, IMhO;)

Well, from my experience it depends what your Southerner is interested in. Football fans are familiar with Wednesday and United and quite a few have even visited Hillsborough and Bramall Lane.

CAMRA types are well aware of the delights of Kelham Island.

Back in my day you also had Gatecrasher so clubbers all knew about Sheffield as well.

my girlfriend lives in manchester, the other night my daughter was on msn speaking to someone in london who was 14 yrs old, when my daughter said she was going to manchester on boxing day the 14 yr old asked "is that where manchester united are from" its true that people know places through sport especially football, but its also true that a lot of people in london haven't a clue of places in the north they seem to think that sheffield, leeds and manchester are the same place, and to them we all sound the same even though we know we don't

I believe the film The Full Monty put Sheffield on the map.

A couple of hundred years after Thomas Bolsover, but you've got a point.

That might be because of family connections, rather than something they have learned at School, IMhO;)

You are probably right tab.

I don't think for one moment that these countries teach the history of Sheffield in their schools.

I would be interested to know what image of Sheffield these folk from so far away have?.

I bet They have nothing to do with the Full Monty or World Snooker.?