Strangest thing I've ever seen.

Has this been uploaded to youtube yet? would be interesting to see theories on there!

Exactly a verrrrrrrrrrrrrry slooooooow melt. For those cars to have moved the way they did, the thickness of ice would have to have gone from at least ten inches to nothing

Furthermore if the cars are facing downhill any surface ice would be in a wedge shape with the thin end of the wedge at the rear of the cars melting before the thick end

Ice in temperatures of two or three degrees does not just go CLUNK and pitch cars forward and it is quite absurd to even consider the possibility

I would have thought that it is perfectly feasible that with a slow melt the resistance in the ice would be momentarily overcome resulting in a short sudden movement forward.

I would have thought that it is perfectly feasible that with a slow melt the resistance in the ice would be momentarily overcome resulting in a short sudden movement forward.

Yeah, good point. This would explain all the cars moving forward at the same time.

But think physics WC. How many centimetres would a 4 metre long car need to drop at its front end to move forward with the force those cars apparently did presumably with handbrakes applied, in gear? on rubber tyres? And both at the same time. I can't really see it happening

I believe its something done by trick, or the 2 cars moved forward because of ice even tho the ford stayed in position.

But think physics WC. How many centimetres would a 4 metre long car need to drop at its front end to move forward with the force those cars apparently did presumably with handbrakes applied, in gear? on rubber tyres? And both at the same time. I can't really see it happening

I agree, the incline, which is presumed to be very small, would not generate sufficient force to move the cars suddenly.

The poster might be able to confirm (with the original recording) that, on the nearest car, the front wheels appear to have turned, although this might be due to light reflections on the trims. They would do this, of course, if car was in neutral and the rear tyres slid, or if in gear there could be sufficient mechanical play to allow a small rotation of the front wheel as the car only appears to have moved less than the length of its door handle. Wheel bearing friction would still have to be overcome, though.

Edited by carosio

OK new information, I've just been going through that nights recordings almost frame by frame and between 00-04 and 00-40 both cars moved again (or not again because that was the first time) but not as much as previously viewed, then a few minutes after the 4-35 clip when the fox went past the white Volvo moved again, this time I could not detect any movement from the 4x4 so I think the slippage on the melting snow looks like the most probable cause, however this doesn't explain why the cars alarm went off but that will just have to be taken as just one of those things.

Also I've looked back in the day when all the cars were out and the centre space has very little snow compared to the other two.

I think that now It's probably time to put this thread to bed.

Happy new year to all.

Our expert is now online and is going to have a look.

Edited by pattricia

OK new information, I've just been going through that nights recordings almost frame by frame and between 00-04 and 00-40 both cars moved again (or not again because that was the first time) but not as much as previously viewed, then a few minutes after the 4-35 clip when the fox went past the white Volvo moved again, this time I could not detect any movement from the 4x4 so I think the slippage on the melting snow looks like the most probable cause, however this doesn't explain why the cars alarm went off but that will just have to be taken as just one of those things.

Also I've looked back in the day when all the cars were out and the centre space has very little snow compared to the other two.

I think that now It's probably time to put this thread to bed.

Happy new year to all.

Can you post the other movement?

This is interesting.

Though if the ice melt was slow, why a sudden movement? Are you sure you didn't play about with this?

Can you post the other movement?

This is interesting.

Though if the ice melt was slow, why a sudden movement? Are you sure you didn't play about with this?

It wasn't a sudden movement, that's the crux of the explanation. Instead of watching the cars, watch the timer. At exactly the same time as the cars move, the timer shifts to 35. It's simultaneous. If the cars had moved a second later, then there would be a mystery on our hands.

It wasn't a sudden movement, that's the crux of the explanation. Instead of watching the cars, watch the timer. At exactly the same time as the cars move, the timer shifts to 35. It's simultaneous. If the cars had moved a second later, then there would be a mystery on our hands.

I'm thinking, becasue there doesn't appear to be any difference in the ice whatsoever (this being from staring at the video in full screen), i also don't think 'ice melting' would do this to a care, infact im pretty sure physics doesn't support it.

I suppose its also possible that if the movement had activated the record, wouldnt the recording have missed the move? But i dont now how the camera works so i dunno.

Pretty cool trick though.