Woodland Street, Hillsborough

The birth certificate clearly states residence of Ann Billing as 28 Woodland Street, Nether Hallam in September 1871.

Is it possible that when the census was taken, in April 1871, that the street was built but not occupied? [snip]

I realise this is an old message, but for anyone coming across it - Woodland Street was originally called Peel Street.

In 1871 Peel Street begins at 4663 folio 77 page 28 (immediately following Channing St.) Only even numbers appear in this e.d. Number 28 is not listed - there is a jump from 38 to 18. But, at the end, out of sequence, is no. 48 with a BILLINGS family, John (brick maker) and Anne, and three children.

The first mention of Woodland Street in the burial registers for the nearby Wardsend cemetery is in 1872.

Hugh

hi just found this thread used to live on woodland st early 60 is. im terry clayton do you remember hagues .woodheads .mosleys. tingles. kings.bromlys.hogans. all good families. the pub at bottom of rd was the woodland . tel boy.

Hi Terry my mum and dad were good friends of your mum and dad. Your mum was Violet if I remember correctly. My mum and dad were Rose and Charlie Mercer.I remember George and Mavis Hague And Ron and Jean Boot we used to have some great family outings together and they all went in the Victoria Vaults or "Vic" as it was known locally. I'm Jean by the way

hi jean yes your right i remember. happy days

On 16/09/2011 at 21:18, JayVee said:

Born in Woodland Street in 1943 - lived there till early 60s in a 'back to back'

house - anyone know what they were?

Remember the Binghams chip shop,Grandages shop,the pub opposite known

locally as 'Shelleys',Victoria Vaults at the bottom and Carolis's ice cream place.

Married a childhood sweetheart from off Freedom Street.Happy days,often

bloody starving in the 40's but happy.

Local families I can remember were Bromlys,Mellors,Congrieves,Oates,Hudson,

Sunderland some others will come back to me.

Great Street for sledging on - starting at top of Burnaby Street and then

bearing right on to Woodland Street right down to Langsett Road.

My grandparents lived at the top of woodland Street Burnaby st. Their name was Guite  wondered if you knew them

On 19/09/2011 at 22:21, telboy1 said:

some more names you may remember hogans,kings, tingles, hagues, claytons, woodheads,mosleys,

Did you know the Guites at the top of woodland st

17 hours ago, Busses3512 said:

My grandparents lived at the top of woodland Street Burnaby st. Their name was Guite  wondered if you knew them

Did you know the Guites at the top of woodland st

I knew a Guite who want to Walkley County School, was it David?

I wonder if anyone can shed any light on what  number on Woodland Street, Swann-Morton as was to become  first began manufacturing blades.

Also as an aside, Swann-Morton's new premises on Penistone Road has been named Woodland Works as  a historic reminder to their heritage and beginnings on Woodland Street.

Daryl Slinn theres a few pics of Swanns on Fb and they show the place on Woodland St theres also a pic on your reception which i gave to mick mcginnley.

I've seen those pictures but we have  even been through the books in the Central Library to find the actually number or court on Woodland Street the business was started.... no one seems to know.... great pics though.

i think it was around the middle on the right hand side going up Woodland St Daryl

On 23/02/2020 at 09:49, carosio said:

No my dad lived with his parents early 40/50s dad's name was Les had sister called Pat , Bernard , Mick 

On 23/02/2020 at 09:49, carosio said:

On 04/03/2008 at 09:05, skippy said:

My sister & husband moved there about 1951 & lived opposite a corner shop that I think was at the corner of Burnaby & Woodland Streets.

My grandparents lived at the top of woodland Street up into the 60s their name was guite

On 04/03/2008 at 09:05, skippy said:

My sister & husband moved there about 1951 & lived opposite a corner shop that I think was at the corner of Burnaby & Woodland Streets.

My grandparents lived in woodland Street at the top up until the 60s their name was Guite

On 16/04/2008 at 22:58, tel boy said:

hi just found this thread used to live on woodland st early 60 is. im terry clayton do you remember hagues .woodheads .mosleys. tingles. kings.bromlys.hogans. all good families. the pub at bottom of rd was the woodland . tel boy.

My grandparents lived at the top of woodland Street up to the 60s their name was Guite  uncle Mick lived there early 60s with them