Woodland Street, Hillsborough

My Grandad used to have a fish and chip shop on Woodland St (no 70) which was near the junction with Freedom St. Has anyone got any pictures of Woodland St?

I used to live on Woodgrove Lane off Penistone Rd does anyone remember the families who lived on there ? When Mr and Mrs Ketton had th corner shop ?????

Never said it was near woodland street ,,, I asked if anyone remembered woodgrove lane and the people that lived on there !!!!

Sorry I thought this was a post about Woodland Street. I must be mistaken.

No your not mistaken , no need to appologise

My Grandad used to have a fish and chip shop on Woodland St (no 70) which was near the junction with Freedom St. Has anyone got any pictures of Woodland St?

Funny you should mention the chip shop on Woodland street, I was born next door at number 68 way back in 1938. The people who owned the chip shop then were the Binghams. I don't know their Christian names unfortunately as we moved up to Wadsley when I was aged two. The grocery shop on the corner, next to the chip shop was owned by a woman called Maria Lamkin, or Rhia as she was known. I believe she had a daughter called Lucy. I too remember Carroliss's ice cream, a beautiful yellow colour. They used to take it round the streets in magnificent ice cream "vans" with pictures of parks and so on in the interior. Happy days.

Opposite the chapel near the bottom of Channing street was an entry leading to the rear yard of the row of houses and at the top was a large hut where some type of group used to meet and hold seances. My pal Alan Adams used to live in the yard, the hut being known as the "Spookhouse".

Swann-Mortons were started on Woodland St and I think The Victoria and Wood land were at the bottom at Langsett rd end.

Tel boy, are you the Terry Clayton who played at the Fiesta?

hi yes your right about the pub my aunt and uncle once ran it .unfortunatly im not the t clayton from the fiesta. [ not that talented lol ]

I used to live on Woodgrove Lane off Penistone Rd does anyone remember the families who lived on there ? When Mr and Mrs Ketton had th corner shop ?????

Hi pipsmum, I lived on woodgrove lane until I was 17 or 18, this was when John Ketton kept the corner shop, in fact I worked for them as a grocers boy whilst still at school. I could probably name possibly 75% of the families that lived in Woodgrove Lane at that time. this is my first time in a forum so I hope this helps.

my mum is married to one of the mosleys who lived on woodland street and she lived on lived on freedom road as a child and went to walkley school, my nan was the lollipop lady for the schools for years.

Edited by adam_1