Why dont our side roads get cleared of snow, Why just the main roads?

well the main road on blackstock is clear but side roads are shocking

well the main road on blackstock is clear but side roads are shocking

So aren't side roads classed as public roads I wonder?

No.

Is this the best form of advertising your business?

What are you hiding cgksheff ???

Please do not bicker

Simple answer - not enough salt for the side roads!!, therefore the main roads get priority, what would people say if Rudyard road in Hillsborough got gritted only for Middlewood and Langsett rd not to be??

Surely only someone whose mum and dad paid the Council Tax for them would ask this question ? :roll:

You could - but i won't bother to - calculate roughly how much it costs in terms of time lost at work, accidents, disruption to people's lives etc. by not gritting every single road and footpath. Bearing in mind that we get this level of snowfall very rarely indeed, nowadays, the number of days on which we suffer it is low.

You could also calculate how much it would cost to buy enough grit, and hire enough staff, to guarantee that every single road and footpath could be gritted whenever necessary. I'm fairly sure that you would find that this cost is far, far higher than the above cost, and therefore it's not worth doing.

It's the same line of reasoning that sees many places in Canada have an entirely undergound, or sheltered, city centre, even though the cost is enormous; they know they'll be completely snowbound for months at a time, and even an enormous investment is still worth making. Over here, when snow is infrequent, and tends not to be that heavy or stay that long, it just isn't worth making that big of an investment. The costs we suffer because of not having made it, aren't all that large.

Logically, this argument makes sense. When I've walked home fuming with eight bags of shopping because we can't move the car off our ice-ridden side road, I've never really been very impressed by it. :hihi:

Do our taxes only pay for the clearence of snow from main roads?

Because by your quote thats all you pay for:rolleyes: you are self employed afterall

Actually its the first year ive ever known that they have not gritted burncross road, which is a main busy road.

Edited by Bruno

Please do not bicker

What about quibbling?? I like a good quibble.

I live on a side road, and it was gritted at 3pm today(now yesterday)

Main roads take priority.

I reckon the council have done a good job this year.....so far.

Let's hope we have seen the worst of our crap British weather.