Graduates in 3 or 4 years

Degrees were "diluted" during the eighties and nineties (of last century) because this country was not producing enough "professionals". The standards were lowered making degrees much easier to obtain, hence the huge rise in the number of people obtaining degrees. Hence degrees are easier to get and thus less valuable.

Degrees were "diluted" during the eighties and nineties (of last century) because this country was not producing enough "professionals". The standards were lowered making degrees much easier to obtain, hence the huge rise in the number of people obtaining degrees. Hence degrees are easier to get and thus less valuable.

That's quite a sweeping statement...why are degrees easier to get? Have you proof of lowered standards?

That's quite a sweeping statement...why are degrees easier to get? Have you proof of lowered standards?

It is common knowledge, you did not require a PhD to work it out. Now you do, so it is self explanatory. The evidence is well documented.

Edited by Conscience

The majority of job vacancies don't need someone with a degree qualification to do them. That's why we only ever had less than 10% of the population going to University, until some well-meaning idiot thought "hey, if the less-than-10% who get degrees all earn such high wages, why don't we have half the population fit into that range and they can all earn equally high wages?"

Yes, some politicians really are that daft. They actually thought that we could put fifty per cent of the population into the top ten per cent.

That's Labour for you!

It is common knowledge, you did not require a PhD to work it out. Now you do, so it is self explanatory. The evidence is well documented.

Not that I don't believe you but you've offered no proof there..

Not that I don't believe you but you've offered no proof there..

Why do you require proof if you agree with me?:huh:

Why do you require proof if you agree with me?:huh:

It'd be nice to see some.... :)

I thought it was more that many new subjects were introduced, some of which gave rise to the perception of the mickey mouse degree :huh:

Degrees in yer 'real subjects' like medicine and engineering remain hard but ultimately rewarding.

I thought it was more that many new subjects were introduced, some of which gave rise to the perception of the mickey mouse degree :huh:

Degrees in yer 'real subjects' like medicine and engineering remain hard but ultimately rewarding.

Mickey mouse degrees were introduced, but even the more difficult degrees like medicine,engineering, any science degrees were packaged into smaller units which enabled undergraduates to be able to take them one step at a time, thus the numbers of graduates increased, making the degrees less valuable.

That's Labour for you!

It's also the Tories; the policy has been ongoing for at least forty years. Labour has not ruled exclusively in that time.

Of course they will. In any case a degree is not just about getting a job it is a life changing experience.

If you had a conversation with two people that you had never met before and one had a degree and the other didn't you would know within five minutes which was which. :|

Rubbish. What a sweeping statement which has no basis in fact.

Many people are highly intellegent and go on to complete very difficult, complex degrees. It doesn't mean they have a greater insight into all aspects of "Life, the Universe and Everything..." to someone who hasn't.

They may be able to discuss sub-atomic science, but they may never have read Thomas Hardy or Dickens. Or be able to boil an egg.

Other's may be of equal ability, but elect a different path.

Are all degrees equal? Is a degree in Chemical Engineering the same as a "Media Studies" degree?

I got "A" levels in various subjects. I had to study hard for all of them.

Except one...

I've got an "A" level in "General Studies", for which I just turned up and did the exam, because I did not attend a single class for it...But if I didn't get a "General Studies" A level, would I be thicker??

[/b]

I've got an "A" level in "General Studies", for which I just turned up and did the exam, because I did not attend a single class for it...But if I didn't get a "General Studies" A level, would I be thicker??

I read something the other day, someone was speaking in favour of General Studies, which is often not counted in the UCAS points system by universities.

They were saying that it does prove an ability to assess information and think for yourself, that can be lacking in the traditional subjects which, up to A-level, can just indicate a good ability to memorise and regurgitate information.