Does anybody in this city know how to drive safely in snow and ice?

I've been to chesterfield and back twice and used a decent map to divert my way around traffic today.

I've been to chesterfield and back twice and used a decent map to divert my way around traffic today.

That is one clever map matt! Where can I get me one of those?

Not to mention how bad bus drivers are in the snow and ice!

Yes that is so. :roll:

I travelled on the 272 on saturday night and the driver was a star. The buses had been only running to Fox House all day but this guy decided to run right through to Castleton. We passed three cars in trouble, one through a wall and 2 in ditches and all were 4x4's. As the driver said the trouble with 4x4 cars is that many of the drivers have 2x4 brains.

I have never felt as safe as I did on this guys bus so please do not make silly comments like the above generalising about bus drivers.

Many moons ago I decided to go to meadhowhell in the snow.

So at the bus stop at the bottom of derbyshire lane bus pulls in wheels lock and it skids past me. Doors open driver grinning like a chesire cat.

On the way back I was going to the top of Norton Lees lane. Driver says I'll try my best for you and got me there without any real trouble.

Anyway this morning surprisingly woodseats road wasn't gritted. I wasn't impressed by the bin Lorry driving round the corner in the middle of the road when there's no where for anyone coming from the other direction to get of the way.

Just missed me by about an inch I wasn't impressed by the stupidity.

Yes that is so. :roll:

I travelled on the 272 on saturday night and the driver was a star. The buses had been only running to Fox House all day but this guy decided to run right through to Castleton. We passed three cars in trouble, one through a wall and 2 in ditches and all were 4x4's. As the driver said the trouble with 4x4 cars is that many of the drivers have 2x4 brains.

I have never felt as safe as I did on this guys bus so please do not make silly comments like the above generalising about bus drivers.

Don't get exited Nuetral body. That post was just a harmless little jibe to someone else on the forum. I have the utmost respect for bus drivers as is well documented in other threads. No offence taken, you weren't to know.

However, I do find the above generalisation about 4x4 drivers a little silly.

Many moons ago I decided to go to meadhowhell in the snow.

So at the bus stop at the bottom of derbyshire lane bus pulls in wheels lock and it skids past me. Doors open driver grinning like a chesire cat.

On the way back I was going to the top of Norton Lees lane. Driver says I'll try my best for you and got me there without any real trouble.

Anyway this morning surprisingly woodseats road wasn't gritted. I wasn't impressed by the bin Lorry driving round the corner in the middle of the road when there's no where for anyone coming from the other direction to get of the way.

Just missed me by about an inch I wasn't impressed by the stupidity.

Ahh yes, there are too many drivers blessed with stupidity on the roads. The recent weather seems to bring out the worst in them.

There should be a second driving test taken in the snow and ice. Anyone that fails should only be issued with a fair weather liscence, and be banned from driving during cold snaps.

There should be a second driving test taken in the snow and ice. Anyone that fails should only be issued with a fair weather liscence, and be banned from driving during cold snaps.

In countries with a lot of snow like Finland, you have to take part of your test on an ice rink. You also have to know how to look after your car in winter conditions, when and how to change to winter tyres etc. The amount of snow we usually get here hardly warrants this. We'll all be waiting another 10 years to put our new skills to practice.

It is amazing how slowly some people drive in snow. I had to overtake 2 cars on my way into work the other day because they were driving so slowly, and I was cycling.

In countries with a lot of snow like Finland, you have to take part of your test on an ice rink. You also have to know how to look after your car in winter conditions, when and how to change to winter tyres etc. The amount of snow we usually get here hardly warrants this. We'll all be waiting another 10 years to put our new skills to practice.

I was in finland last winter and to be fair, they don't clear the roads with grit like we do, they plow it to an inch or so and drive on studded tyres, the tyres can grip fine on the compacted snow, we don't get enough snow to bother doing it.

My hubby is learning to drive, and I was pleased when his instructor had him driving around on the snow... even on our uncleared snow and ice compacted road!

Am I right in thinking that if he were to take the pass plus course, he would learn more about driving in winter?

Only assuming that his instructor know what he/she is doing. You can't beat experience and training though, so its definately something to encourage if you can find the right instructor.

It is amazing how slowly some people drive in snow. I had to overtake 2 cars on my way into work the other day because they were driving so slowly, and I was cycling.

This comment about how we "hardly ever" get any snow in England keeps coming up again and again and I've got to reply now:hihi: In my experience we get some snow in the Sheffield area at some every winter. Not as much as this year, no. No prolonged very cold period like this year, no. But there is normally some snow.

This comment about how we "hardly ever" get any snow in England keeps coming up again and again and I've got to reply now:hihi: In my experience we get some snow in the Sheffield area at some every winter. Not as much as this year, no. No prolonged very cold period like this year, no. But there is normally some snow.

Yeh but alittle dusting doesn't really give any practice does it.

Bad drivers out in force this morning. This morning it was a bus that tried to take me out on woodseats road. This time he/she wasnt just straggling the centre line he/she was right over on my side of the road. Bus swerves I swerve into side road entrance avoid person clearing his car and I still manage too blast the horn. Good job wasn't I wasn't going quick.

Further down we meet driver with infra red vision all windows iced up and covered in snow. Mr infra red pulls out infront of me I had seen the car moving so I'd already slowed down so it was a nusiance more than anything. Mr Infra red then proceeds down Woodseats road and drives striaght through the red lights over the bridge.

I guess this may have been the same driver that caused a huge tailback of slow vehicles going 15 - 20 mph on abbeydale road or were they afraid of ice.