Does anybody in this city know how to drive safely in snow and ice?

Sorry, I don't intend to make your post look silly, perhaps you could have worded it better.

Why?

I'm assuming that most people posting on here are drivers and I am also assuming that most drivers looking at a temperature gauge reading 80 degrees centigrade would take that as the engine water temperature and the one reading +1.5 degrees centigrade as the outside temperature.

Mind you, I could be wrong. I do know someone who thinks running your engine while stationary does not use any petrol as you are not moving!

John X

Yes, get in a 4x4, rev the engine until it moves, once moving keep your speed up so it doesn't get stuck. Don't let others get in your way, just go round them, it's everyone for them selves in the snow. If you need to stop suddenly, apply brakes firmly, use the hand brake to be sure.

Edited by mj.scuba

Yes, get in a 4x4, rev the engine until it moves, once moving keep your speed up so it doesn't get stuck. Don't let others get in your way, just go round them, it's everyone for them selves in the snow. If you need to stop suddenly, apply brakes firmly, use the hand brake to be sure.

Don't forget to wind the window down ready for you to flick the rods!!!

Oh and get the full beam ON so that when you are on the bumper of the car in front they know that you are there.

What's snow and ice got to do with bad driving? Even when it's clear some of the driving in Sheffield is pathetic.

In fact, I can only conclude that like students passing all their exams with the nigh on 100% pass rate ensuring that even the dullards pass even though they cannot spell their name or hold a civilised, intelligible conversation, driving instructors must be passing every single person that takes a 'test'.

And they're out in force at the moment, the ones who aren't even aware that their vehicles have indicators or drive at 20mph in a 30 zone, don't think it worth their while to use headlights when there's a pea-soup fog or it's gone past 7pm in November.

And should you overtake them, woah, they don't like that, looking all frightened at the wheel yet managing somehow to find the flashing facility on their headlamps to 'how dare ye' me.

Let them struggle; hopefully it will dawn on them that like dentistry or brain surgery, just because certain others are capable of doing it, it doesn't give them a God given right to believe that they have to do it too - even if it frightens the living daylights out of them - and us.

Edited by Ousetunes

Although car temperature gauges are a useful guide to outside temperature, they are much less use than looking out of the window.

If, for example, there is snow on the ground and it is 11am, then the air temperature may be well above zero, but the ice on the ground may still be solid. If, on the other hand, the outside temperature is zero and it is 6pm then the ice may not have started to form even though it is cold enough. It is also worth noting that it doesn't need to be below zero for there to be ice, it can be up to 4 degrees C.

Deleted by me!

Edited by sccsux

I have been working on Heavygate Rd, Crookes over the past few days which has been pretty much a no go area due to the snow and ice on the road.

I have been parking on Crookes main drag, and walking to the job (bracing!!).

The amount of parked cars with dints in them on Heavygate, due to erratic drivers convinced me of this course of action! :o

Its not so much erratic driving, as stupid parking!

Most people seem to park their cars where ever they can and dont think about the, what if a car looses control situation.

Ive seen people being over cautious in the snow latley, Monday prime example afternoon most of the roads cleared of snow and i will admit some parts having slight ice on them, yet you get people driving at maximum speeds of 10mph, holding traffic up and causing people to overtake.

If you dont feel safe driving, dont venture out, or catch the bus like most people have, and yes before you say anything i know public transport isnt that reliable but its better you people be on the bus than travelling down the parkway at 6mph cause it snowed on sunday!! :D

Quite right. Should have stopped and taken up space in the middle of the lane and contributed to even more tailbacks, instead of making progress and making you jealous that he could go when you couldn't. After all, bicycles caused the tailbacks, not snow and poor drivers.

And not at all to do with people driving in such a way that they are unable to bring their vehicle to a controlled stop should the need arise?

For your information I was in 1st and had already slowed down (i wasn't going fast in the first place) in order to make left turn which was my right of way - this was on a side road and there wasn't a car behind this driver!

Oh what a surprise, I went to Tesco on Abbeydale Rd today, and some idiot had parked in a none parking area, almost blocking the recycing area, and no the car owner was not recycling.

On the actual roads nothing surprises me, the ownership of a large 4wd vehicle doesn't give the driver the right to drive like a complete pillock. And please, in bad visibility just try hitting the dipped headlights switch, honestly it doesen't rack up your power bill, neither does using your signals, albeit that white vans are not fitted with lights or signals.

Such is life. :confused:

have you also noticed how many drivers run around with filthy windscreens??

I can understand about the spray from the road muckying your screen, but if you cant see out of it then how can you drive? maybe people should check their washfluid levels :)

Thread title: Does anybody in this city know how to drive safely in snow and ice?

Answer: yes.

Quite simple to work out (unless you forgot your own thread title):hihi:.

Thanks sccsux, but this was established several posts back. :)

His post is worded just fine. Slush + wet road + temp gage above 0 = no need to drive at 5 mph.

I don't remember saying that I drive at 5 mph in snow and ice, do you?