Anyone had any car turbo problems?

my mates recently had a turbo changed on a audi tdi, but it was still not performing, so he took it back and the mechanic checked it all and said it needs a new exhaust system, so after spending £££££, he had the cat changed, which was full of oil and rest of the exhaust system cleaned out, but now its still not performing right and blowing out a lot of smoke!!

the mechanic said it will clear up and be normal after a good run in... is this right??

cheers

my mates recently had a turbo changed on a audi tdi, but it was still not performing, so he took it back and the mechanic checked it all and said it needs a new exhaust system, so after spending £££££, he had the cat changed, which was full of oil and rest of the exhaust system cleaned out, but now its still not performing right and blowing out a lot of smoke!!

the mechanic said it will clear up and be normal after a good run in... is this right??

cheers

Years ago I had some probs with an Audi 1.9tdi, thought the turbo was spent, but fortunately was not. It turned out to be the fuel sensor, still cost me couple of hundred but not nearly as much as a new turbo would have! Sounds like your mate needs to get a diagnostic check done.

he did have a diagnostic check done, it was definitely the turbo as the seals had gone sending the oil into the exhaust system. he also changed the air flow meter which didnt fix it.

I had a blown turbo on my old Saab 2.2TiD.

As a knock on effect, I had to replace the EGR (Exhaust gas recirc) unit on the diesel engine which, when knackered affected performance by putting the car into "limp home mode" and also left it smoking heavily.

The MAF (mass air flow) sensor might also be mucky or damaged if the car is not pulling at full power?

Just a couple of things maybe to suggest for the mechanic to perhaps check?

Has it been checked for a boost air leak. You can usually hear the air escaping when on boost. If it has a boost leak it will smoke heavily. Are all the vacuum hoses ok in the engine bay?. The turbo is adjusted using vacuum so if there is a leak performance will suffer. Check the EGR valve is not stuck open. If the MAF sensor has been replaced was it a genuine sensor. We get loads of problems with pattern and non genuine sensors.

hi, yep all the hoses are on as i was the one who took it back to make sure its been done right, the MAF was changed at the time for a new bosch one and that didnt make it perform any better. The car is also leaking oil now which it wasnt doing before....

Hi was the intercooler cleaned of oil as this could be causing a blockage in the boost system thus resulting in a lack of power

You must thouroughly check the pipes, they tend to split and its not always easy to spot.

Hello Shabba,

The reason for turbo problem:

1. Objects like dirt, small stones, or other items got into the turbine or compressor. Many times intake part will get sucked into the inlet.

2. The motor oil is very dirty or low. Turbos need plenty of fresh oil after being turned off so it will not coke the oil.

3. The oil pressure is too low or the oil filtration system is inadequate.

4. The exhaust gas temperatures from the ignition/injection system are too high. You burn the oil up.

5. Other mechanical issuess, breakage of parts or a manufacturers defect.

thanks guys, i am taking the car back too him so will ask the mechanic to check the intercooler etc, its just had a full service though so it cant be the oil....

Edited by shabba

Must be a good mechanic if you have to ask on a public forum whats up!:hihi: