1Year-old waltham dvd-tv has died - advice please

I've had a Waltham TV-DVD (CRT) for about a year, it's now out of warranty, but it's decided to die on me. (Bluddy typical!)

Normally, you press the button on the front of the set to take it to standby, which gives you a steady blue LED on the control panel.

To get it to TV mode, you press the channel up button, which switches the blue LED off, and puts the TV on.

When I went to switch it on the other day, there was a vile smell of electronics, burning,and instead of switching out of standby, the display and sound were gone, and all I was getting was an intermittent flash of the blue LED.

Pressing channel up and down did nothing, neither did unplugging the set

Any tips? Judging by the burning smell, I think that one of the circuit-boards must have shorted out/ burnt out.

Any repairers out there? IS it worth repairing, or should I just "junk" it? I hadn't even used the DVD player bit, yet. (which is well annoying)

(Sensible) suggestions, (particularly for contacts for repair-men) welcomed. Thanks in advance.

PT

from the sounds of it its dead.... and I mean, dead... things like this now adays are not servicable and are classed as 'throw away electronics', like when a car is a write-off, the cost of repair would be the same or more than the cost of a new replacement so it wouldnt be worth repairing it.

I've had a Waltham TV-DVD (CRT) for about a year, it's now out of warranty, but it's decided to die on me. (Bluddy typical!)

Normally, you press the button on the front of the set to take it to standby, which gives you a steady blue LED on the control panel.

To get it to TV mode, you press the channel up button, which switches the blue LED off, and puts the TV on.

When I went to switch it on the other day, there was a vile smell of electronics, burning,and instead of switching out of standby, the display and sound were gone, and all I was getting was an intermittent flash of the blue LED.

Any tips? Judging by the burning smell, I think that one of the circuit-boards must have shorted out/ burnt out.

Any repairers out there? IS it worth repairing, or should I just "junk" it? I hadn't even used the DVD player bit, yet. (which is well annoying)

(Sensible) suggestions, (particularly for contacts for repair-men) welcomed. Thanks in advance.

PT

Even though it's out of warrantee it is reasonable to assume that a TV/DVD combo would last more than a year. I go back to where you purchased it with this argument, I would also contact the manufacturer and see if you get anywhere with this argument.

Even though it's out of warrantee it is reasonable to assume that a TV/DVD combo would last more than a year. I go back to where you purchased it with this argument, I would also contact the manufacturer and see if you get anywhere with this argument.

Yep,surely they should last longer than a year....

PT

I`d say it was worth trying to get it repaired, it`ll certainly be easier to try and find a repairer because it isn`t an LCD or Plasma. Far fewer people mend those.

We`d try and repair it for £30 to £40 plus VAT, we`d need a £10 Bench Fee Deposit if you bought it in.

Yep,surely they should last longer than a year....

Indeed it should, and the EU thinks so too. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the legislation but from the last time I had to argue it out it was 6 years.

The retailer is responsible for it's repair within that time.

There's a video clip on The Sale Of Goods Act - and maybe more - here. Mind you I'm surprised a Waltham set lasted so long - a case of you get what you (pay so little) for.

There's a video clip on The Sale Of Goods Act - and maybe more - here. Mind you I'm surprised a Waltham set lasted so long - a case of you get what you (pay so little) for.

My bold...

Oh, yes, I know it isn't the best of makes, and part of me was not over-surprised when I got the whiff of "eau-de burning electrics". But 13 or so months is damnnably ridiculous short time for the pile of *cough* to have turned its toes up on me.

What with the PC dying on me, and now the stinking, rotten telly. Gah! Gah! And double Gah!

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Indeed it should, and the EU thinks so too. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the legislation but from the last time I had to argue it out it was 6 years.

The retailer is responsible for it's repair within that time.

It's now 2 years IIRC, plain talker google it - it's pretty well known now.

It's now 2 years IIRC,

It's the Sale of Goods Act 1979 that you need to read up about. Maximum cover under that is 6 years, although it's not automatically that long on everything (eg in this case it will be less because it's a cheaper brand)

It's the Sale of Goods Act 1979 that you need to read up about. Maximum cover under that is 6 years, although it's not automatically that long on everything (eg in this case it will be less because it's a cheaper brand)

Ahh my mistake - cheers....wonder if I can get my playstation 2 fixed :huh:

Just sling it.And get a new one.You can pick up some real bargains these days.