Carers allowance , home adaptions and other problems..

After much talking today with my best mate aka forum member natbennett,we have come to a conclusion. I am not sure if anyone else has picked up the same message along the way but, we came to the idea that the social promote the idea that you should be jobless to be entitled to any benefit.

Nat has been told she must have a lift fitted in her home but she may need to pay towards it. Her partner has challenged them as they both have a mortgage to pay for. As well as other means of living, we have also been told if our partners earn more then £90 a week they can not claim carers allowance.Both our partners work 5 days or more a week.

We did not ask to be disabled so as far as we are concerned why should we pay for being so. And why do we get the impression that we have to be out of work to be entitled to anything?? The mind boggles really it does.

There are grants for essential adaptations that the Social Services give out, such as Shower Rooms, Stairlifts and Ramps.

I know that the situation with carer's allowance is as you describe, that if you work over "X" hours, and earn more than a certain amount, (or are over 60? 65?)you aren't entitled to it.

However, in a sense, that's the same as expecting to claim the dole, when you are actually working.

The point of Carer's Allowance is that it is to be given to those who are prevented from working, due to their care commitments. The Dole is given to those who have no means of supporting themselves because they have no work (or in the case of Income Support, intended to supplement your meagre income if you haven't enough work to support yourself or your family)

The logic behind the entitlement to the carer's allowance is that, if you are caring for your partner, then how are you out at work? If you are out at work, how is it you who is doing the care for your partner? Harsh, I agree, but that's how the entitlements work.

Im glad it aint just me that thinks it is harsh. Think my aunt will claim it and help me at home when I am discharged in jan.

My partner would quit work to care for me and he said if I wanted him to he would.But deep down I know he loves working and earning a income so am gonna leave him working. Have spent the day today ringing round and sorting any benefits I may be entitled to.

As I was not aware of what i was entitled to before. thanks x

I am a full time at home mum of 2 children, One of the children in this case my son has Autisum and he recieves full care rate from DLA (he is not entitled to the mobility part as yet untill he reaches 5 yrs old) Therefore I do recieve carers allowance for the care of my son.

My hubbys full time sick and therefore on long term incapacity benifit, becasue of this i do recieve a top up of income support on top of my carers allowance of the grand total of £11.05 per week.

If I did start a part time or full time job, that income support would stop, and therefore have to pay rent and council tax, so i would really be worse off.

Thats the way life is really, but it gives me that time to spend with the children.

I'm not sure I understand what the problem is, or what you are claiming is so harsh. If your partner is not staying at home to look after you, why does he need to claim a benefit to cover the cost of him doing so?

It has been found that partners who have a disabled partners are discriminated at work because of their need to be available in a crisis and not being able to work overtime. When my husband started working 3 days instead of 5 we looked into whether there was any extra allowance he could get to meet the shortfall but it only applied if his working income had been so small that even with the allowance we would not have been able to make ends meet. Originally my husband could have claimed a tex allowance for me but when the tax was changed to women being taxed seperately that went so our income dropped considerably. Thankfully eventually tax credits came in for those with children and our income went back up. Now I am a carer for my mentally ill daughter we lost the tax credit because she is over 18 and the child benefit of course but as she is not receiving benefit we are down several hundred pounds a month. I am officially cared for, not a carer. My husbands earnings are too high to claim for any help yet again.

I'm not sure I understand what the problem is, or what you are claiming is so harsh. If your partner is not staying at home to look after you, why does he need to claim a benefit to cover the cost of him doing so?

Regardless of what hours anyone's partner works ,They still care for us.

My husband at the minute works half 9 while half 2 so he can do the school run.

But after work he will come home and cook me meals as I can't do things like that. He will help me get washed and ready for bed in the evening and will wash my hair. And will help me to bed and remind me to take my meds and get up with me in the night if I need the toilet.

So his still caring from half 2 in the afternoon till half 9 every morning. Then all weekend every weekend. I think they should get something for helping. Anyway decided now he will go back to work full time and My friend will claim carers allowance and care for me and my 2 yr old daughter while he is there.

And we will pay another friend for doing the school run for our 8 yr old boy and pay him out of his wages every month.

At least we have more money coming in then, as I refuse to spend my life struggling.

hi all

i dont know if anyone has tried it this way but i am 95% sure that the disabled person can claim carers allowance to pay for their care and then this can be paid by you to whoever cares for you

hi all

i dont know if anyone has tried it this way but i am 95% sure that the disabled person can claim carers allowance to pay for their care and then this can be paid by you to whoever cares for you

Happy-Hippy would be the expert to ask about that one, (H'Hippy'd be in the know, if anyone would be.)

I believe it works thus:-

If the disabled person has no-one living with them, such as a partner, who can claim the carer allowance, then the allowance is put into the disabled person's benefits, and they can use that money to employ someone to do the tasks they need help with.

I believe that only one carer-allowance can be paid for the disabled person so, say Janice gets paid the allowance for looking after George, then Susan can't get the allowance paid to her.

Also, if Janice is looking after George, and is looking after Fred as well, she can only get one lot of allowance, not two.

I'm sure HH will be along later to confirm that.

I am a full time at home mum of 2 children, One of the children in this case my son has Autisum and he recieves full care rate from DLA (he is not entitled to the mobility part as yet untill he reaches 5 yrs old) Therefore I do recieve carers allowance for the care of my son.

My hubbys full time sick and therefore on long term incapacity benifit, becasue of this i do recieve a top up of income support on top of my carers allowance of the grand total of £11.05 per week.

If I did start a part time or full time job, that income support would stop, and therefore have to pay rent and council tax, so i would really be worse off.

Thats the way life is really, but it gives me that time to spend with the children.

Firstly, may I ask if it is actually Incapacity Benefit, or Income Support with a disability premium which your husband receives, or you receive in respect of your husband? In this particular case, it's a very important question.

hi all

That's not Carer's Allowance, but Direct Payments, which go via the Local Authority. The thing to note here is that the Local Authority will conduct its own assessment as to whether they will pay DP.

This is distinct from Carer's Allowance which is payable (income and work/study status permitting) if there is an entitlement to the paspporting benefits, which are Middle/High Rate Care Components of DLA, or either wawrd of Ateendance Allowance.

It is not payable to pay for partners, spouses, or other close relatives to care, unless there are exceptional circumstances. These will vary from authority to authority, as each sees fit.

Happy-Hippy would be the expert to ask about that one, (H'Hippy'd be in the know, if anyone would be.)

I believe it works thus:-

If the disabled person has no-one living with them, such as a partner, who can claim the carer allowance, then the allowance is put into the disabled person's benefits, and they can use that money to employ someone to do the tasks they need help with.

Not if it's Carer's Allowance. That can only be claimed by the carer in respect of someone who receives the relevant passporting benefit. If it's Direct Payments, then I talked about that earlier!

I believe that only one carer-allowance can be paid for the disabled person so, say Janice gets paid the allowance for looking after George, then Susan can't get the allowance paid to her.

Again, there is a difference between the two payments. Direct Payments are paid to secure help, and it must be specific help too.

Also, if Janice is looking after George, and is looking after Fred as well, she can only get one lot of allowance, not two.

I'm sure HH will be along later to confirm that.

Indeed, that is true in respect of CA.