Jacko v Prince. Was Jacko King of pop?

i don't think mj ever claimed to be a rock star, did he? i'm just pointing out that some of his tracks are actually based on rock. personally, to me it's not rock music either, but i can appreciate why Lestat made their statement

Which brings us full circle. The answer to my original question 'What rock songs did MJ ever produced' seems to be none. So claiming he is the King of Rock looks a bit, well, silly really.

(And I never claimed that Jackson ever called himself a rock star either..)

Which brings us full circle. The answer to my original question 'What rock songs did MJ ever produced' seems to be none

have a read...

"Beat It" was written by Michael Jackson for his Thriller album. Co-producer Quincy Jones had wanted to include a rock 'n' roll song, though Jackson reportedly had never previously shown an interest in the genre. Jackson later said of "Beat It", "I wanted to write a song, the type of song that I would buy if I were to buy a rock song... That is how I approached it and I wanted the kids to really enjoy it—the school kids as well as the college kids." Upon hearing the first recorded vocals, Jones stated that it was exactly what he was looking for. Rock guitarist Eddie Van Halen, lead guitarist of hard rock band Van Halen, was then requested to add a guitar solo.

have a read...

"Beat It" was written by Michael Jackson for his Thriller album. Co-producer Quincy Jones had wanted to include a rock 'n' roll song, though Jackson reportedly had never previously shown an interest in the genre. Jackson later said of "Beat It", "I wanted to write a song, the type of song that I would buy if I were to buy a rock song... That is how I approached it and I wanted the kids to really enjoy it—the school kids as well as the college kids." Upon hearing the first recorded vocals, Jones stated that it was exactly what he was looking for. Rock guitarist Eddie Van Halen, lead guitarist of hard rock band Van Halen, was then requested to add a guitar solo.

Again, doesnt really prove owt does it? I wonder how many Rock tracks Jackson actually bought? And Quincy Jones is hardly what you call a rocker is he? I suspect the major decision behind Beat it was actually more commercial than artistic.

If you swapped Michael Jackson for Cliff Richard and Beat it to Devil Woman you might well end up with a similar sentiment in regards to his inspiration for that song. Who in their right minds would call 'Devil Woman' a rock track?

If you swapped Michael Jackson for Cliff Richard and Beat it to Devil Woman you might well end up with a similar sentiment in regards to his inspiration for that song. Who in their right minds would call 'Devil Woman' a rock track?

Right song choice, but bad artist choice.

Cliff Dick recorded plenty of rock n roll in the 50s and 60s before moving into pop and, well, MOR in the 70s.

In fact, thinking about it, Devil Woman can only be classed as rock really, albeit a tepid version with a lot of plastic surgery.

Again, doesnt really prove owt does it? I wonder how many Rock tracks Jackson actually bought? And Quincy Jones is hardly what you call a rocker is he? I suspect the major decision behind Beat it was actually more commercial than artistic.

and what about eddie van halen? have you heard of him? ;)

Jacko v Prince? Neither really, as both are 1980s acts whose music sounds horribly of its time and dated. They both ran out of ideas a long long time ago.

This reminds me of my school days. You were either a Prince fan or an MJ fan and you couldn't be both! I was in the MJ camp. He was more fun.

Prince seemed a bit too serious and heavy going for me. This is comparing Billie Jean to Purple Rain.

NOW, I'd say Purple Rain is a far better song, but as a tender teenager, at the age of 14 when it all came out, I just loved MJ.

I bet if he'd met you when you were 14 MJ would have loved you too! :gag:

Right song choice, but bad artist choice.

Cliff Dick recorded plenty of rock n roll in the 50s and 60s before moving into pop and, well, MOR in the 70s.

In fact, thinking about it, Devil Woman can only be classed as rock really, albeit a tepid version with a lot of plastic surgery.

Yeah, to be fair I was thinking more of Rock in it's modern incarnation than rock n roll in its traditional form.

This genre stuff gets really complicated, doesnt it :D

and what about eddie van halen? have you heard of him? ;)

Yep, heard of him, rate him as guitarist and yes, he is a real rocker! But having him play on your track doesnt automatically make it a rock track. :)

Yep, heard of him, rate him as guitarist and yes, he is a real rocker! But having him play on your track doesnt automatically make it a rock track. :)

ok, so regarding "beat it" let's just summarise where we're at...

- mj said he wanted to make a rock track

- the track is classed as rock on the web

- eddie van halen played the guitar solo :headbang:

- it's in the rock and roll hall of fame top 500 songs that shaped rock and roll

...but it's still got nothing to do with rock :confused:

okie dokie

ok, so regarding "beat it" let's just summarise where we're at...

- mj said he wanted to make a rock track MJ saying he wanted to make a rock track is neither here nor there. I'm sure for 'penetration' in to a market he had 'previously not been interested in' (According to the article you posted) he did want to make a rock track - all the more $ in to his bank account...

- the track is classed as rock on the web The web classification is a red herring - I've been on music download sites which tell me that apparently, 'Alive and Kicking' was sung by U2. They arent the most reliable of sources.

- eddie van halen played the guitar solo :headbang:Buster Rhymes rapped on the Pussycat Dolls 'Dont cha?' - does this make it a rap song? Maybe you should read what EVH said about his inlvolvement with MJ...

- it's in the rock and roll hall of fame top 500 songs that shaped rock and roll You yourself have criticised the rock and roll hall fame for inducting ABBA

...but it's still got nothing to do with rock :confused:Thats not quite what I said - but I stand my statement that none of the songs mentioned by Lestat were 'Rock' songs

okie dokie

See my reply above ^^

Does it matter whether we call it pop, rock, rap, dance or what? There's only two types of music, good and bad and IMHO both Prince and Michael Jackson belong in the 2nd category.