Round of applause to the council for getting Sheffield moving again

Your wrong. What do you pay them for? :)
My wrong? Do you mean My bad? or You're wrong? :confused:

I'm apparently paying them for the schools, old folks homes, libraries, contribution to the police, fire and social services, street sweeping, council houses, carers, taxis for certain people, city centre ambassadors, christmas lights in Heeley and Firth Park, street flowers, donations to various community events, sorting out where you and your neighbours park your cars and gritting your road?

Do I get a Quality Street now? :cool:

My wrong? Do you mean My bad? or You're wrong? :confused:

I'm apparently paying them for the schools, old folks homes, libraries, contribution to the police, fire and social services, street sweeping, council houses, carers, taxis for certain people, city centre ambassadors, christmas lights in Heeley and Firth Park, street flowers, donations to various community events, sorting out where you and your neighbours park your cars and gritting your road?

Do I get a Quality Street now? :cool:

Whatever you think. Have a quality street if you want one. :)

If you want them to come and try to grit your road, you can request it by getting in touch with streetforce, as already mentioned on numerous threads on here.

The details are on this link

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/maintenance/winter-maintenance

I rang them and the truck went past 10 minutes later, shame we had put up with the packed ice and snow on the road for the best part of three days though.

Not necessarily. There was a grit bin a short distance from our house. In recent years, the council have removed it, so now our area is without grit for our driveways and paths. :loopy:

You need more grit or the grit moving nearer? Man, I love talkin grit! The rest of the year you won't get a word out of me, but come December I just... blossom :|

I wonder if anyone has plotted the distribution of the roads that are gritted against the home locations of councillors...?

Hmmm.... ok, I confess!

I am a city councillor and can confirm that my road always gets gritted first!

But then that's hardly surprising - as I live only 10 doors away from the Olive Grove gritting depot!

Ever thought of moving pal?

Not when I get my road gritted before anyone else does! :wink:

(Before I get blasted - would all posters please note the wink smillie!)

I'm not aware that any Local Authority of any size in this country clears snow/ice from ALL of it's roads. They all just keep major routes clear. That's all they can afford to do.

If you want better services, you are going to have to pay more, simple as that.

I'm trying to think of direct benefits from Council tax. Bins, Emergency services, dreadful amenities/facilities....erm..

I'm not talking about all roads. I live on Daniel Hill and its a main throughway and its not been gritted at all. The pavements haven't been touched and most of the grit bins are empty. How easy is it for someone to fall over and break their kneck? I don;t drive/use the bus so the roads being clear doesn;t effect me as much but the pavements do.

I've heard people complaining both round and about and on here that the grit bins are empty and do wonder how many of these complainers are bothering to inform streetforce of this fact.

A friend who lives within sight of a grit bin say one of the issues is being caused by vehicles turning up and removing grit by the sackful, they have been reporting the bin when it has been emptied and it does seem to be getting refilled fairly promptly though

I'm trying to think of direct benefits from Council tax. Bins, Emergency services, dreadful amenities/facilities....erm..

I'm not talking about all roads. I live on Daniel Hill and its a main throughway and its not been gritted at all. The pavements haven't been touched and most of the grit bins are empty. How easy is it for someone to fall over and break their kneck? I don;t drive/use the bus so the roads being clear doesn;t effect me as much but the pavements do.

Daniel Hill is on the streetforce list of routes which are gritted, see: http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/maintenance/winter-maintenance/priority-routesbut it's classified as a secondary priority. When there is heavy snowfall, Streetforce have their hands full keeping the primary road network open, so secondary priorities like yours have to wait.

They've gritted some side roads around here, but the access does seem to be a problem like fox20thc says. I look at our neghbours' cars and wonder why they park on the road in icy weather and risk of something skidding into them, when they have a drive going spare? They're :loopy:

Totally agree with this and have nearly slid into a couple of cars round here that have been parked outside on the road instead of the usual place on their driveway.

Obviously they can`t be assed to buy a couple of bags of gritsand (about 3kwid) and a snow shovel (about 8kwid) to prepare themselves a bit...:huh: