What's best for filling a hole in an outside wall?

Hi

Whats the best thing to fill a hole n the outside wall here the waste pipe is coming out of behind the skink? as there's a large hole and cold is coming in to the kitchen. is the expanding foam any good? or does anybody have any better ideas?

Thanks

Hi

Whats the best thing to fill a hole n the outside wall here the waste pipe is coming out of behind the skink? as there's a large hole and cold is coming in to the kitchen. is the expanding foam any good? or does anybody have any better ideas?

Thanks

Have a word with Matt on the 'Guys ! honestly' thread ! :hihi:

Hi

Thanks

Try sticking you head in it:hihi:

i thought it would be hot air coming from a blade :hihi:sorry couldnt resist :hihi:

I assume the rest of the house is made of brick so probably bricks? :hihi: I'm not sure I'd use expanding foam as bridging the cavity may introduce damp problems

I'm sure a builder will come along in a moment shoot me down :(

It is possible that you might want mortar to make it look tidy, but I understand that you cant work with it when it is as cold as it is today, so expandable foam will work to fill the hole quickly and you could do a neater job in the spring with some proper gobbo.

It is possible that you might want mortar to make it look tidy, but I understand that you cant work with it when it is as cold as it is today, so expandable foam will work to fill the hole quickly and you could do a neater job in the spring with some proper gobbo.

I agree with this, but as an emergency you could plug it (neatly)with a tightly rolled plastic bag until a better job can be made.

If the hole is high up and well above the damp-proof course then bridging with a small amount of foam will do no harm, but if low down, possibly below said course then mortar would probably be the best, however if appearance is paramount then I would have the damaged brick (or half brick) concerned replaced with a matching one.

Edited by carosio

yes will do that, need a quick fix, until spring summer

I had a hole exactly like that, where the dishwasher drainpipe used to be.

I stuffed it with screwed-up plastic bags, then put a bit of that duck-tape over the top. The duck-tape lasted a couple of months before it peeled off,