Stupid question, but how do you walk safely on ice?

I find that if you twist your feet slightly as you put them down it help; you might look slightly insane but it's better than falling down and looking ridiculous. :hihi:

Having slipped and slid my way to work today I was dreading the walk home. However, I went in the stationary cupboard and wrapped several thick rubber band round my boots. Perfect, not even a wobble on the way home.

I've just bought myself a pair of these and they work an absolute treat!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Swedish-no-slip-ice-spikes-cleats-grips-crampons_W0QQitemZ180443981241QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportingGoods_HikingEquipment_RL?hash=item2a034ca5b9

All you do is just strap them on to the underside of your shoes and you'll be able to walk anywhere, no matter how icy.

Its best to walk as slowly as possible and keep off any slopes or uneven bits.

Obviously its best to wear something like walking boots but Ive got some black trainers that are almost as good as my boots in snow and ice.

Sh2006.

When I was younger, an old raggy pair of socks over my shoes/ boots/ welloes worked brilliantly, as others have mentioned above.

(wonder if you can get socks for wheelchair tyres?)

Me too, I remember in the winter of 80/81 when I lived at the top of Oakhill Road, I had to get to the 97 bus stop down the icy and steep hill on my way to the Wapentake.

The only decent pair of shoes I had were a pair of platforms - not good for snow or ice unless one is an accomplished snowboarder - so I put some thick woolly socks over them

They worked a treat and I hid them in a privet hedge belonging to the house next to the Brincliffe Oaks, meaning to collect them onthe way home

As far as I know, they are there still. as (inevitably) I forgot to retrieve them, so if anyone wishes to borrow them, they are more than welcome.

Well I have just taken delivery of my Yaktrax so I am now all ready for the weather (if it comes) :roll: