The Milestone Restaurant - your opinions.

Hand & Flowers has a £15 fixed lunch menu, so it should be on par with the Milestone...

(I only know because I'm currently obsessed with Tom Kettering and want to go there)

Hand & Flowers has a £15 fixed lunch menu, so it should be on par with the Milestone...

(I only know because I'm currently obsessed with Tom Kettering and want to go there)

Cant be too obsessed his name is Kerridge ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Kerridge

You don't (normally) judge a Michelin-starred restaurant by its fixed lunch menu though.

I just too a look at the Hand & Flowers' website. Their main courses range in price from £24.50 to £38.50. The Milestone's range from £11.95 to £14.95 on the evening menu or £7.95 to £9.95 on the lunch menu.

Back when they had the separate upstairs and downstairs menus, the upstairs certainly had aspirations towards Michelin-starredness (and many of the dishes they served were good enough for that accolade, but it wasn't consistent enough). Nowadays it's much more gastropub-style (and very good too!)

Trying to tap into the local real ale scene isn't a crime. The price they charge is.

No one forces you to drink it!

I disagree - some of the Michelin starred restaurants don't charge extortionate fees.

Alternageek: If you want to go to Hand and Flowers get a booking, we had to wait around a year. That said he's just extended the premises. I think the plan was to increase the number of covers as it is a tiny place.

I'm not aware of any Michelin-starred restaurants that charge extortionate fees. Certainly, they charge more than non Michelin-starred restaurants, but in every case that I know of that's because they spend more on the quality of the ingredients, the staff, the premises, everything.

The other thing about extortion is that it is very hard if not impossible to avoid paying it. Whereas it is so easy to avoid paying for a Michelin-starred meal, that very few people I know have actually done so.

Been twice to the milestone and won't be going back. Hour and a half for my steak to arrive and there was only my party (20 people) in the place. Over cooked and pathetic sides. Last time was worse - I was given sprouts for heavens sake.

Booked at the hand & flowers next June - it's only 8 months wait at the moment!