The Milestone Restaurant - your opinions.

I think there will always be a bit of a debate about the Milestone. It's for those who like good, well cooked food but with a creative twist. Morans is just a bit safer. Shame.

I actually can't believe what I'm reading here. It's like I went to a completely different restaurant. I've eaten at many, but the Milestone was single handedly the worst dining experience I've ever had. The meal I had was a million miles away from "well cooked food with a creative twist". We paid premium upstairs prices for xmas dinner and got, broken glass on seats, leather like ravioli, split sauces, cold sauces, shrivelled veg, dried out poultry.. They contrived to get every aspect of the meal completely wrong, and took 3 and a 1/2 hours to labour over it. It was a total disaster. An absolute car crash.

When I heard that the Milestone had been selected as a front runner for Ramsay's Best Restaurant I was genuinely angry. It doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Moran's.

I actually can't believe what I'm reading here. It's like I went to a completely different restaurant. I've eaten at many, but the Milestone was single handedly the worst dining experience I've ever had. The meal I had was a million miles away from "well cooked food with a creative twist". We paid premium upstairs prices for xmas dinner and got, broken glass on seats, leather like ravioli, split sauces, cold sauces, shrivelled veg, dried out poultry.. They contrived to get every aspect of the meal completely wrong, and took 3 and a 1/2 hours to labour over it. It was a total disaster. An absolute car crash.

When I heard that the Milestone had been selected as a front runner for Ramsay's Best Restaurant I was genuinely angry. It doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Moran's.

is that the only time you've been to the milestone??

It's just my opinion. I've had a couple of good meals at Milstone - good food and no issues whatsoever with service etc. Unfortunately Morans was just boring.

That's not the first time I have heard about poor food at xmas time. My thinking is they just packed in too many people over a short space of time that the kitchen and in turn the service staff went into the weeds. My then flatmate had a very similar experience.

Everyone who's been keeping in touch with this thread knows I am very mixed about the place. The downstairs bit is fine and the early bird menu is great value. Go upstairs and a-la-carte; things go a bit pear shaped.

It'll be interesting to see how it fairs with Ramsey. I was watching the Indian competition and inbetween they had snippets featuring the Milestone with the secret diners; it showed the diner giving the waiter (recognised him, shows how often I go in there) a right earful. So we'll see!

It's certainly not a great place for veggies but then I wasn't expecting it to be which is why I hadn't bothered with it until a friend wanted to go there for her birthday.

As tasty as a risotto can be, it's sometimes not the prettiest of dishes. I would have hoped that with the rep of the place, they could have put a few leaves on the side to make it a bit more presentable.

This and the soup I had for my starter were also incredibly creamy and salty so I wasn't too impressed.

However, the ominovore dishes looked great (very decorative too) and were well received and I thought the service (and atmosphere in general) was very good.

So while it wasn't 'bad' in any shape or form, I just want to let any other veggie folk know that in my opinion, despite the high prices, the Milestone doesn't really have a lot to offer in terms of actual food. A good venue but two disappointing dishes.

And I doubt tutelage from Gordon Ramsey is gonna make it more veggie friendly either ;)

We ate downstairs at the Milestone today. You don't get good value for your money. Not a huge amount of choice.

And you found the Sheffield Forum and a thread specific to the Milestone, then signed up for the first time, to tell us that??? :loopy:

Which of the competition do you work for? :hihi:

Well, Milestone got through on Ramsey's Best Restaurant. Great! However, the burned chips have kind of put me off from eating in the pub!

I thought the Milestone did extremely well on the programme yesterday. They are a young team with fresh ideas and considering they were up against a restaurant that already has a michilin star, well what an achievement to get through to the next round!

Yes, the chips should not have gone out burnt, but if the only thing they did wrong was burn a chip...........

Once again they demonstrated how brilliant the service is too.

Overall, I think they did a fantastic job.

I thought the Milestone did extremely well on the programme yesterday. They are a young team with fresh ideas and considering they were up against a restaurant that already has a michilin star, well what an achievement to get through to the next round!

Yes, the chips should not have gone out burnt, but if the only thing they did wrong was burn a chip...........

Once again they demonstrated how brilliant the service is too.

Overall, I think they did a fantastic job.

Really chuffed the milestone got through on ramseys lastnight.

Sheffield can actually win something :P

Although it must have been a really difficult decision for him as i thought both finishing dishes from both places looked gorgeous.

The head chef didnt half show us up with his potty mouth :rolleyes:

I can only comment as a veggie and on the set menu but cheese on toast for starter and cheese sarnie as a main was hardly thoughtful, innovative or inspirational!! (they obv werent called cheese on toast or cheese sarnie but thats what they are in effect!)

I can only comment as a veggie and on the set menu but cheese on toast for starter and cheese sarnie as a main was hardly thoughtful, innovative or inspirational!! (they obv werent called cheese on toast or cheese sarnie but thats what they are in effect!)

I dont mean this in anyway offensive, however you have chosen to limit your options by being vegetarian, therefore its a little hypocrytical to bemoan the options available to you. :huh:

Just my opinion obviously, and I fully expect to get a load of veggies responding to my "narrow minded" view, however I do find it strange when a vegetarian is not happy with the vegetarian options, when they themselves have limited their options with their lifestyle choice.

As I say, it is only my opinion.