Vauxhall Frontera with starting problems

Hi i have a Vauxhall Frontera 2.5 diesel which will not start in the morning, the engine tries to turn over and once it does start (usually by bump start) the rest of the day its fine and will start fine, but the next morning it just wont start

Has anyone got any information of why this is or know a auto electrician/ Auto tuner that maybe able to help me

Thank you

Could be glow plug / plugs on there way out with it being a diesel. might not be preheating on one or more cylinder which would probably cause a cold start problem.

or a poor battery if its only just started to fail in the cold weather

Batterys generally fail in cold weather, My dad has put his battery in a polystyrene box like you get for food from freezer shops. That gives the battery some protection from the cold. Try these sites for tips :thumbsup:

http://www.helium.com/items/442694-how-to-start-a-diesel-vehicle-in-cold-weather

http://www.ehow.com/about_5240394_do-car-batteries-die-winter_.html

its an old diesel, its very common, diesels need a lot of heat to start up as they dont use a spark to ignite the fuel like petrol does.

diesel works by heat rising caused by compressing the fuel in the cylinders if the tempreture is not right then it wont ignite.

also diesel when it gets really really cold it starts to turnt gooey n goes like jelly. but i dont think its really cold enough for that to happen.

try putting you ignition on and leave it a few mins b4 starting give the glow plugs a chance to warm the cylinders. not sure with diesels but do the plugs and the dash light go off after a bit ? if thats the case, as soon as the light goes out turn the ignition straight off and straigh back on again to maintain the heat build up.

sounds like the glow plugs do need changing as they sound as if they not heating propperly.

Edited by xsport

go for brand new Battery and change the glow plugs., and get some line cleaner in the tank

If you get the chance get somebody to give you a jump start in the morning and if yours starts it is almost certain that your own battery is not turning the engine over fast enough. Alternatively take to a garage that can test your battery condition with a drop tester. Make sure first that your battery terminals are both clean and tight but not overtight. If all this fails have your heater plugs and their connections checked. Usually at this time of year though it is battery failure especially if the battery is 4-5 years old it will be coming to the end of its life. If you do find that your battery terminals are covered in green/white gunge disconnect them and pour boiling water over them and then apply a thin coat of petroleum jelly on the terminals and reconnect. If this has caused a problem you should start okay the next day.

Edited by Grubshifter
More info to add.

Could be your battery; Ive just had to buy a new one due this problem.

It was fine when jump-started or bump-started for the day if itd been ran but as soon as i came to it in the morning it wouldnt start.

All it was was the battery dying on me, get yourself to a garage which do free battery testing. I use SYB Varta on Shoreham street just off Charlotte Road and they are brill :thumbsup: