WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND starring Jonathan Ansell (G4/X-Factor) 1-6 Feb

Mon 1 - Sat 6 February 2010

Whistle Down the Wind

Lyceum Theatre, Sheffield

Jonathan Ansell, who won the heart of the nation as lead vocalist in X-Factor runners-up G4, has been cast in his musical debut, starring at the Lyceum in Bill Kenwright’s production of Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Whistle Down the Wind.

In a twist of fate the bright-eyed and youthful Swallow discovers a mysterious man hiding in her family’s barn. When she asks for his identity the first words he utters are "Jesus Christ"… and it’s as though her prayers have been answered. While the rest of the townspeople are searching for a fugitive escaped from jail, Swallow gathers the town’s children who make a pact to protect their new found saviour from the cruelties of the outside world.

An extraordinary and uplifting tale, Whistle Down the Wind is based on the beloved sixties film starring Hayley Mills and Alan Bates, and features numerous multi-award-winning songs, including Boyzone’s international smash hit No Matter What (which topped the UK charts for 6 weeks).

The musical shows how powerful love can be when the innocence of childhood collides with the cynicism of the adult world. In a stunning combination of multi-award-winning songs, powerful all new staging and epic storytelling, Whistle Down the Wind is a record breaking theatrical sensation that is both mesmerizing and moving.

Andrew Lloyd Webber’s best show since Phantom

Charles Spencer - Daily Telegraph

Tickets: £17.00 - £31.00 (concessions available)

Box Office: 0114 249 6000

Book online

COMPETITION

Hot on the heels of its smash hit US tour, Bill Kenwright’s critically acclaimed production of Andrew Lloyd Webber's Whistle Down the Wind is set to thrill audiences in Sheffield when it arrives at the Lyceum in February.

For your chance to win a family ticket (4 tickets) to the opening night on Monday 1 February, just reply to this thread to tell us a story you have about the innocence of childhood - maybe a memory from you were younger, or a funny thing that a young relative or friend said. Whatever it is, let us know about it on the thread and you could win tickets to this perfect family treat!

The competition deadline is 10.00am on Wednesday 27 January. Winners will be selected at random from all users that reply to the thread. Good luck!

Edited by Lyceum

I remember believing everything my foster mum said. She told me when I decided to become Vegetarian (short-lived) at the age of 11 that tomato sausages didn't contain meat so I was ok to eat them. How she laughed when, at the age of 19 I might add, I moved out and began to do my own shopping - only to find they DO contain meat!!!!!

Now she's gone, it still makes me smile now every time I buy tomato sausages. :D

I work in a school and I'm sure that I could publish a book with funny stories about what the children get up to. So I thought that I would share one from this morning. We have been looking at healthy eating in science and what constitutes a balanced diet. We looked at the idea that you can have any food so long as it is in the right quantity. The children were then to design their own balanced meal. Many of these constituted of chocolate for the dairy content, sausages for meat, vegetables, chips, tuna and water. I get the impression that this lesson somewhat missed the mark, and am now worried about what the children may end up eating in terms of a flavoursome and balanced meal. Think we will talk about this topic a bit more!

When my "little" sister was born, I made my parents and grandparents howl with laughter, as I was given her to hold.

I started looking closely at the back of her neck. My Gran asked me what I was looking at.

I said:-

"Well... my dolly says 'Made in Hong Kong' on the back of her neck, I want to know where she came from!"

I'd be about 2 1/2 or 3 at the time.

Over the holidays I took my cousin (who is 5) to visit a Santa Claus. Now I must admit he was a very thin Santa Claus, and when another child pointed this out my cousin straight away turned to tham and said 'of course he has to be thin! He is going to eat so much food on Christmas eve! If he was already fat he would get fatter and pop!' I was very proud and loved his arguement. However, this santa was VERY THIN and rather young looking behind the big white beard.

Not the nicest of ones to share, but I remeber when I was younger being told that when you sneeze it is part of your brain coming out. I used to do anything to stop myself from sneezing, and would panic if I sneezed a few times in a row. But one good thing to come out of all of this was that I never ever picked my nose!

Last week I took my 4 year old daughter with me to the hairdresses while I was getting a trim. She sat there for a while then went into her nursery bag and got out her lunch box. She emptied her sandwhiches onto the chair and began to collect the hair off the floor and carefully place it in her lunch box while the rest of the customers and myself watched. She then placed the lunch box back in her bag and sat down. She then announced she was taking the hair home for grandad to glue onto his head as being bald in the cold weather wasn't good for him and his hat wasn't keeping him warm enough.

I was about 2 years old and my dad had taken me to see new baby brother in hospital. My mum had given me a hobnob biscuit that she had next to bed, thinking i would eat but no i tried feeding to my new brother then ask why he wouldnt eat it!!!

When I was little, I was always getting into scrapes but tended to kind of give notice which is why you think my family would have been better prepared.

I announced my intention to become a hairdresser at the age of six and promptly started cutting all my Sindy dolls so they were scalped like sacrifices. After this I practised on my Girl's World. It really only was a matter of time.

Then i decided it was time to go professional and so cut my own hair! Only the fringe though!

It was so short that it was sticking up everywhere and i had to have it cut out, my mum wasn't best pleased as i was supposed to do some modelling work that week!

I spent the next few months with a fringe like Emo Phillips and that was the end of my ambition to be a hairdresser.

The Sindy dolls' hair never grew back. :(

When I was younger I used to think that the television worked because there were little people inside it who did things on the screen. My goodness, thinking about it now what actually happened to the people when I changed channel? Did they disappear forever? This has brought back some traumatic experiences! (Hehehe)

My little brother has been learning about keeping healthy at school, and particularly needing to eat his 5 a day. This was all well and good until he got a cherry bakewell and believed without a shadow of a doubt that it counted towards his 5 a day!