"unexpected item in bagging area"

I never use the self service tills anywhere, don't like the booming voice that tells all the store, that you are a prat.

I never use the self service tills anywhere, don't like the booming voice that tells all the store, that you are a prat.

It's a good job the credit/debit card machines don't speak - I'd be forever getting the message, "You've put your card in the wrong way round, again, you pillock!!" :hihi:

I stopped using Asda in a meaningful way over a year ago. Self-serve, queues and empty shelves all contributed. I don't miss the self scan woman. We used to take our own bags. That was fun.

Whoever designed them was definitely someone who didn't expect you to have a handbag. There is no shelf to put your bag on! So you get the person telling you off, but if you put your bag on the floor it tells you off for taking too long so you end up doing a garrotting technique around your neck or gagging yourself with the handle.

Definitely designed by someone into S and M, not M&S!

Put your first item in your own bag in your hand, then put that in the bagging area - simples :)

It's what the robotic voiced woman at the self service checkouts in Tesco says if she doesn't like the way you put your shopping in a plastic bag after you've scanned it. It happens so frequently that I'm starting to wonder if it's not a robot voice at all but a real woman who has a grudge against me is hiding behind the machine.

Oh gawd..I'd love to be employed as that person behind one way glass.

"THOSE CONDOMS ARE TO BIG. YOU ARE DELUSIONAL. PLEASE GET SMALLER ONES".

I was just going to start a nearly identical thread when this one came up in the search.

Sodding Sainsburys on The Moor now has these devices from hell. I'm usually OK if I just have one or two items that I don't need a bag for but if I want to use my own bag all hell is let loose. I think I've used the self service about 5 times since it was installed and on three occasions I've needed assistance. Once because I had the temerity to purchase alcohol and once because I'd put my bag in the bagging area!

Today was a triple whammy. I'd purchased wine - cue assistance needed. I had a reduced item - cue more assistance and thirdly I used my own bag again, that triggered some weight sensor - cue more assistance.

Who designed these things? What is the correct, step by step, way to use them without having flashing lights and error messages?

:rant::rant:

I've found a way to "cheat" these to get free shopping! It only works in Asda though when its very busy.

Nobody hates these machines more than me. i run them. The machines are unintuitive so I don’t blame the customers at all. But.. if you do it right you won’t have any problems.

Tesco -

Walk up to the tills and press start. put all the bags you intend to be using on to the bagging area and nothing els. The bagging area is for bagging your shopping only. If you don’t have any bags there will be some tesco bags there waiting for you.

If you using your own bags ether 1, the till will ask you if the weight it just detected was bags. Click yes and continue. Or 2, if your bags are heavier then what the machine considers to be a reasonable weight for bags it will call for assistance. Now you have to wait to the assistant to make sure that you did just put down some bags and not a 13” flat screen tv etc.

Now scan each item and then bag it immediately in the bagging area. 1 at a time. And dont scan the next one till the last one is packed.

Most of the time when people are having trouble its because they scan an item and then pass it to a friend to idly pack in their own way at their own time. This will mess things up for you. Because every time you scan an item the machine expects the weight of that item to be added to the bagging area shortly after. Now if someone is busy rearranging the items in their bags etc then it’s bound to confuse the machine (also. Holding the bags open can mess with the weight as well. You can open the bags to put stuff in. But you need to let go to allow it to be weighed.

So your scanning your shopping. If you have multiples of the same item you still need to follow the one at a time method as above. items without barcodes will be on the tills menu system. Just navigate around untill you find your item. If you cant find it press for assistance and someone will help you.

Security tags. The tills will pick of on all security tags in the area. So don’t worry if you get this message while buying a loaf of bread. It just means someone down from you is buying a dvd. If you are buying something with a security tag on. just scan it as normal and put it down in the baging area. Dont pack it in a bag. But put it down in the bagging area to be weighed. The till will inform the member of staff that you need a tag removing and they will come round in due course. In the mean time just keep scanning.

You can scan your club card at any point but you will be prompted just before payment encase you forget.

I think this covers all of the most common mistakes. There are alot more things i could tell you but tbh. If you just take a deep breath and take a step back most things are fairly simple to work out.

i always go for the self service ones when available, have never had a prob with them other than buying a botle of champagne a while back when i had to wait 30 seconds for someone to make sure i was old enough which i don't think is a bad thing as its better than kids being able to buy booze!

as the above post said though its key to bagging an item as soon as you have scanned it and dont go faffing about with the bags and contents mid way through.

as there designed for using when you have a basket not a trolly full, i'd have to say getting around the using your own bags thing is easy (if you are unsure of how to register the weight of them at the start) just scan item check it appears on screen then put it straight down on the scales when your finished pay then bag it up into your own bag

the reason it says about unknown item in bagging area is if an item has not scanned and has been put in the bag anyway or something else has been rested on the scales (or someone going by how many rowdy uncontroled kids were in morrisons today sitting on the scales!)

I called at B&Q one evening. There where no one on the normal check outs

Standard for B&Q, the one on Queens Road has about 25 check-outs, the most I've ever seen open is 5.