"unexpected item in bagging area"

Is this replacing "time gentlemen please" as the most annoying phrase in the English language? The only items you put in the bagging area are those you've just purchased in the very supermarket the automated checkout is in, so what on earth is unexpected about an item sold in Tesco appearing in the bagging area of a supermarket? Grr!

By the time you've finished removing your items, then replacing them again, then yelled at the machine "No I don't have a chuffing rip-off club card, you prat!" and then found the few coins the machine will accept you eventually realise it would have been far quicker to be served at a real till by a real person!

I've found that these tills accept money off vouchers for things you haven't actually purchased!

The poor guardian of the 6-8 self service tills is usually so flustered he just scans his little token to override any error messages!

My daughter sometimes sits or rests on the long silver bagging area, which is a massive weighing scale, and that usually prompts the warning for me.

What is this message? I don't tend to go to supermarkets, but as the OP says i can't see a situation where an item you just bought would be unexpected.....when is it used/what does it mean?

It's what the robotic voiced woman at the self service checkouts in Tesco says if she doesn't like the way you put your shopping in a plastic bag after you've scanned it. It happens so frequently that I'm starting to wonder if it's not a robot voice at all but a real woman who has a grudge against me is hiding behind the machine.

I bought some bread and milk the other night and the machine summoned the guy because there was a security tagged item allegedly going through the scanner. I didn't realise that a Hovis loaf was so precious!

They've upgraded the ones in Infirmary Road Tesco and they now actually work. Whether they'll keep the barcode scanner free enough from crumbs for them to continue to work remains to be seen. I'd actually given up using them as they were so slow/unreliable, but the new ones are excellent!

I got that message when I used my own bag and hung it on the pegs that hold the plastic carriers. "Unexpected item in bagging area". Er, yes... it's a bag.

I got that message when I used my own bag and hung it on the pegs that hold the plastic carriers. "Unexpected item in bagging area". Er, yes... it's a bag.

Yep that's the best one. They try and encourage back reuse but that's what you get if you try.

In Asda you choose "I BROUGHT MY OWN BAG" when you start and put all bags on the bagging area before you start scanning.

I called at B&Q one evening. There where no one on the normal check outs, but there where four B&Q people on the auto checkouts and a Queue a mile long!

Advancments in Technology... I don't think so!

Also when you put your own bag on the floor to use it and then the chuffing thing refuses to do anything else until you have put your items into a bag in the flipping bagging area! For God's sake turn this part of the machine off, its crap.

Grrrrrr :rant:

I've only used the self-service tills in M & S, and that was a couple of years ago. I used to get so annoyed because I couldn't use my own bags, but had to put stuff in their carriers, which I then usually put into my nice, big reusable bags, which hung on my ma-in-law's wheelchair better than 3 or 4 piddling little carriers!!