Referendum on the monarchy

monarchy referendum  

34 members have voted

1. 1. monarchy referendum

• Keep it
    • Abolish when Queen dies
    • Abolish now

An elected president would have them same constitutional powers, without the church connections.

Sounds like a plan,

Keep them. Theoretically they're the last line of defence against lunatic politicians. Say the BNP got in power and started deporting non-whites. Couldn't the Monarchy (in theory) dissolve parliament etc and put a stop to it.

Edit:-

Actually don't politicians even have to be invited to form a Government by the Queen? The Monarchy could decline to invite them in the first place.

Yes, and that's why I'm for keeping them. Kind of ironic really that the best and most fool proof protection of our democracy is a monarchy. And a monarch couldn't become a tyrant or we'd be a republic before Brown could say 'well that's another fine mess I've gotten us into'

An elected president would have them same constitutional powers, without the church connections.

Take your point, but an elected head of state would belong to one of the political parties though and could manipulate their constitutional powers to suit their political allies. At least our current Monarchy is above the party political system.

I'd keep Liz and the direct heirs family, but Andrew and co. should be kicked out on their @rses the bunch of parasites.

Yes, and that's why I'm for keeping them. Kind of ironic really that the best and most fool proof protection of our democracy is a monarchy. And a monarch couldn't become a tyrant or we'd be a republic before Brown could say 'well that's another fine mess I've gotten us into'

Agree, I think our current system of democracy and Constitutional Monarchy are complimentary.

Keep them, as it brings in tourism

Keep them, as it brings in tourism

People would still come to england even if we di d have a monarchy. Look how many people visit France and America for example, they don't have a royal family

Jeremy Clarkson for President ! Or even Boris Johnson :D

It would need someone who is already slightly unhinged to cope with the greedy goons who get themselves elected to Parliament.

If we were to have a referendum on the monarchy? would you keep it or get rid?

Get rid. Make the PM head of state.

We don't need a president.

Actually don't politicians even have to be invited to form a Government by the Queen?

A formality.

Has she ever NOT invited the outright winner of a GE to form the government?

Bring back King Michael.

I'm with the sex pistols on this issue !

the sex pistols actually loved their queen....god save her....

How would it make any difference to you?
I would be legally considered the equal of everyone else in the country. Also it might make a small psychological difference.

Take a look at the kind of people who end up becoming politicians. Then consider that a corrupt Head of State could be several orders of magnitude worse - do you want someone willing to sign an Act of Extension abolishing general elections because the party he supports is in power?

Well no I don't, I don't see why a President would need that power anyway. Problem can be easily solved by not giving the president that power.

A corrupt head of state would be no worse than a corrupt prime minister, and we'd vote them out, that's how democracies supposed to work, you're supposed to able to get rid of governments, it's like the most important part.