'large breed' puppy food - why?

"Large breed" growth diets are designed to slow down the growth rate of the long bones. This is to help the cartilage and joints develop correctly, and the try to avoid or reduce some of the problems that we see with rapid growth of long bones (OCD, dysplasia to be brief). The kibble size tends to be bigger too, as mentioned above. Your dog will not end up smaller, he/she will just take a longer, more appropriate, time getting to that size

thats great, thanks medusa, thats what i was worried about, that buying the wrong food might actually harm him, i have ordered the large breed puppy to be on the safe side.

ah cheers Lottie, i wondered that. Was gonna do some more research as she gets older but thought i may as well ask while the subject's up on here lol. We feed ours on CJS for sensitive stomachs, cos the GSD's a bit of a wuss. Seems to suit him n the springer. What do u reckon to that stuff? We took them off Burns and put them on CJS as it was so much cheaper. They've never had the runs since they started on it either.

had a look at orijen, looks amazing so have ordered a 7kg bag for each dog, hope they like it, will return everything else tomorrow, yay,

This is the best stuff!!

I tried most of the good quality allergenic puppy foods eg Burns, James Wellbeloved, Arden Grange and Wafcol salmon and potato. They all gave him diarrhoea. As soon as we started introducing orijen puppy he began to poo less. Then his poos firmed up and now he is doing great on this. He now goes 3 times a day instead of 7-10. He is also clean at night and often dry at night too. (He is only 3 1/2 months old). I Orijen has no grain in it, so it made us think he is maybe allergic to grain.

It is a real relief to find a food that suits him and he enjoys. Unfortunately, we have to get it by mail order and its not cheap. Bradway pet stores stock orijen but Im not sure what variety they have in. I got mine from mail order from Bern Foods or Zooplus. Bern Foods is really fast for delivery.

This is the best stuff!!

I tried most of the good quality allergenic puppy foods eg Burns, James Wellbeloved, Arden Grange and Wafcol salmon and potato. They all gave him diarrhoea. As soon as we started introducing orijen puppy he began to poo less. Then his poos firmed up and now he is doing great on this. He now goes 3 times a day instead of 7-10. He is also clean at night and often dry at night too. (He is only 3 1/2 months old). I Orijen has no grain in it, so it made us think he is maybe allergic to grain.

It is a real relief to find a food that suits him and he enjoys. Unfortunately, we have to get it by mail order and its not cheap. Bradway pet stores stock orijen but Im not sure what variety they have in. I got mine from mail order from Bern Foods or Zooplus. Bern Foods is really fast for delivery.

I switched my dog onto Origen and she loves it. It just makes sense not to give a dog rice and grains as they wouldn't eat it in the wild and it just bulks up the other food and makes them fat. Since I've read up on it I've cut down on my carbs because I understood more from the pet leaflet than all the other human diets going.

This is the best stuff!!

hi, yep i've ordered from zooplus, they said they have despatched it today so fingers crossed, they will love it. one things for sure it aint cheap, OH nearly had a fit, bearing in mnd its £33 for wainwrights, for 15kg and this is £47 for 13.5kg, i appreciate we dont have to use quite as much as its much better quality but still, thats a lot of money.....and we're not rich, but im sure it will do loads for rubys skin - she gets terrible itch, and hopefully be a high quality balance for the pup too, hes knockkneed so Im hoping that some appropriate nutrition will straighten his legs out a bit - it might not of course, but its good to try.