Can't start Windows

Have you burnt the file to the CD as an .iso (if you look at the contents of the CD is there more than 1 file shown?) - or have you burnt the file so all you see on the CD is the .iso file?

If you have only burnt the file it will not work. You need to have the contents of the .iso file on the CD for it to be bootable.

Hi all, thanks very much for all your help (cheers Ghozer for the offer), and especially thankyou to BluePolo who lives near me and came to my rescue.

I am now up and running with Linux and prefer it to Windows!

However, I would like to have Windows too and be able to switch between Windows and Linux. I have a Windows XP Pro cd, how do i install this and partition it accordingly?

Many thanks.

Hi all, thanks very much for all your help (cheers Ghozer for the offer), and especially thankyou to BluePolo who lives near me and came to my rescue.

I am now up and running with Linux and prefer it to Windows!

However, I would like to have Windows too and be able to switch between Windows and Linux. I have a Windows XP Pro cd, how do i install this and partition it accordingly?

Many thanks.

mikeybaby72 can help you with this....his number is 07864112832 if you want to give him a ring.

He is becoming very good at solving problems using his trusty Linux disks :D

We had issues with our laptop and went to the repair shop opposite SUFC. The service was excellent and they repaired it in no time. But the disk had to be formatted - had no other choice

Have you burnt the file to the CD as an .iso (if you look at the contents of the CD is there more than 1 file shown?) - or have you burnt the file so all you see on the CD is the .iso file?

If you have only burnt the file it will not work. You need to have the contents of the .iso file on the CD for it to be bootable.

Aha - no, I didn't do that. I just copied it. Doh!

I can see there are instructions upthread to do that, so I will attempt it now.

If I manage to get it booted via Linux, can I copy the music and emails to my external hard drive? Is that easily done? My photos seem to be either on CD or still on the camera, so I'm not bothered about them, but I would like to keep my music and emails.

When you have the live CD running & plug in your external drive it will open in a new window - a little like Windows explorer. If you click on the icon like a house (Home) that will also open a window. Click on the + at the side of 'Storage Media' & you should see your Windows drive. Resize the windows and drag & drop whatever you want to your external drive.

Let us know if you have any further problems.

Thank you - I've got family here at the moment, but I'll have a go tomorrow and hopefully it will work.

Just tried the disk and it worked. Hurrah! Have put all I wanted to keep onto the external drive and breathed a huge sigh of relief.

Thank you all so much.

We are liking the look of Linux . . . can we just install it or do we need to get rid of the corrupted Windows first? Can anyone recommend a beginner's guide to Linux?

just install it

itll give you options of how to install it, just choose the option to use the full disc

its not too hard and theres plenty of forums for linux available if you get stuck

im fairly new to it and am starting to get it how i want now

yep it will be

itll format the disc and give you a complete fresh install

if its ubuntu that your installing make sure that you install ubuntu restricted extras

this is needed for all your media to play

click on applications

now click on ubuntu software center

now use the search bit (the binoculars) and search for "ubuntu restricted extras"

click on and follow the instructions

have fun