Can't start Windows

Hi fierysatsuma,

Preferably, I would boot with Linux CD, use format tool and wipe the lot - as I have explained in previous posts you should have windows on first partition.

The reason why it won't load is that partition 3 is a LOGICAL partition - it has to be PRIMARY and ACTIVE - the last bit means the pc will boot to this first. (You can have up to 4 primary partitions - max) on one drive/machine and no more (you could have 2 versions of Windows and 2 versions of Linux or one version of Windows and 3 versions of Linux [some time ago I had 2 hard drives; drive 1 - Windows XP and SuSE Linux 9.3 Professional (KDE) on primary drive and secondary drive Ubuntu and SuSE Linux 9.3 Professional (Gnome) but to access Ubuntu I would have to use Acronis OS Selector that came with Acronis Disk Director Suite if memory serves me right but it was a long time ago.

best regards,

swarfendor43

Hi fierysatsuma,

Preferably, I would boot with Linux CD, use format tool and wipe the lot

Hi, thanks for your advice - sorry to sound a bit thick, how do I wipe the lot. I currently have Linux and nothing else, as per your comment above, do I need to run/boot from my 'master cd' to wipe/format? Or can I do this from one of the utilities already installed?

Also, if I wipe/format everything and for some reason the Vista cd/install fails to work - I can, for the interim, re install Linux from my master cd can't I?

Thanks.

Hi fierysatsuma,

Does Vista list all the partitions when you get to the install bit? What I would do (based on XP installs) is to delete the highlighted Linux partition and I think it is press 'L' to confirm - I can't remember just know that on highlighted partitions you have the option to delete (or used to) at point of install. If it doesn't then download the Ultimate Boot CD I referred to in a previous post.

best regards,

swarfendor43

Hi fierysatsuma,

Does Vista list all the partitions when you get to the install bit? What I would do (based on XP installs) is to delete the highlighted Linux partition and I think it is press 'L' to confirm - I can't remember just know that on highlighted partitions you have the option to delete (or used to) at point of install. If it doesn't then download the Ultimate Boot CD I referred to in a previous post.

best regards,

swarfendor43

Hi, thanks for your advice,

I think I see what you mean now re the different partition. So, given that I sucessfully formatted the 3rd partition to NTFS, Windows still wouldn't install because it was not the 'primary' partitiion. So and therefore I need to format the primary partition, which will delete/remove linux?

Unfortunately, attempting to install Windows Vista did not give me any option regarding removing/changing partitions.

If/when I format (in linux) the primary partition AND, say, Windows does not install, will I still be able to get linux back with my 'master' cd i burnt?

Cheers.

Hi fierysatsuma,

I would do one of two things:

1. Boot from your Live Linux CD and partition from that (delete all partitions and allow to format the empty hard drive to NTFS; or

2. Download Ultimate Boot CD - details in earlier posting on this page which has formatting tools built in:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=532900&page=3

best regards,

swarfendor43

Hi fierysatsuma,

I would do one of two things:

1. Boot from your Live Linux CD and partition from that (delete all partitions and allow to format the empty hard drive to NTFS; or

2. Download Ultimate Boot CD - details in earlier posting on this page which has formatting tools built in:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=532900&page=3

best regards,

swarfendor43

Hi, is this program (ultimate boot cd) free - I'm either stupid or had too much beer over xmas. When I try to download you have to pay! Am I trying to download the wrong thing?

Cheers

Hi, is this program (ultimate boot cd) free - I'm either stupid or had too much beer over xmas. When I try to download you have to pay! Am I trying to download the wrong thing?

Cheers

its free i use it

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Hi fierysatsuma,

go to the link that has already been given you - don't click on the link you first come across - this is another product - helps pay for the UBCD website I guess! Scroll down to the 'Mirror' sites listed further down the page and place your mouse over one of the .zip files or .exe or .iso - I would opt for the .iso option and when your mouse turns into a hand click on the link to start your download where the cursory windows opens asking if you want to save the file or run it - save it and burn the .iso after download.

best regards,

swarfendor43