NHS Midwife story

I think that's the key Strix, you need to be a person who speaks up for yourself. Unfortunately, I'm not really that kind of person and I think even people who normally are, are so tired and emotional after the birth that they haven't got the energy to be that type of person either. The more prepared you are for your experience in hospital, the more it will help you cope and be able to enjoy it.

I think that's why I'd like my mum to be there - she's a no-nonsense sort of person who is capable of making the same kind of reasonable 'demands' I would normally, but I just know I'm going to be neither use nor ornament once I'm in pain and scared out of my wits!

(I'm not taking to this whole 'pregnancy' thing too well, can you tell?)

It's a good idea to have someone who'll be your voice Strix but no matter what the horror stories are, it's all fine in the end and the power of hormones etc means you might even consider doing it all again in a year or two.

That might sound insane now but I've known women jeopardise their own lives or end up in hospital with every pregnancy due to extreme and dangerous sickness and still go on to have more!

Your right Zebra. Despite my past experience, I'm doing it again lol.

Strix, try not to worry. Everybody has different experiences, and you will get through it. I'm not known for having a good pain threshold and I amazed everyone including myself on how I handled it. I'm just no good with stress, which is why I didn't handle after the birth very well, so this time I've decided to do pregnacy Yoga, which I'm hoping will help me to keep calm and less stressed.

i had a very similar time to what this midwife is saying i was in the old jessops when i had my first baby in 1999 i was only 17. they left me 2 and a halff weeks overdue as they were full, they then induced me then broke my waters gave me diamorphine and god only knows what other pain killers i was then given some medication via a drip i was like that for 72 hours before complications arouse and i was rushed into theatre i was very ill afterwards and needed a blood transfusion and couldnt walk for 2 days.

however when i had my second in the new jessops in march 2008 it was a lot differant i had a planned c section on a tuesday evening and was home friday morning. i have to admit i didnt see the midwives that often though and didnt buzz for them unless i absolutely needed too.

each persons experiance will be differant though.

Why do I keep reading advice about Jessops which all seems to suggest that you have to DEMAND everything from them to get the kind of service you'd think would be available to everybody :confused:

Just to add a different perspective: I delivered in Jessops a week ago and had to stay a few days on Rivelin Ward as my DS was slow to feed and developed jaundice. I cannot fault the team of midwives who cared for us during that time.In spite of them being extremely busy, they all took the time to sit with me and help me with breast feeding, often in the middle of the night. I was also seen by a BF Support worker on the first day (I'm not sure if she was a volunteer or paid).

Since I've been home, my own midwife and backup have also been very helpful. Though I'm still having some problems, they've provided me with the support and encouragement to carry on trying to feed - without this I would have probably resorted to bottle feeding days ago!

I'm really sorry that several people seem to have had bad experences at Jessops and elsewhere, and maybe I've been unusually lucky in the support I've received. but if you're about to deliver, please don't read this thread and think that you're guaranteed a negative experience!

When I had my son in 2007 I buzzed and asked for help with feeding loads and I always found the staff happy to help me. I had my daughter 10 weeks ago and I found feeding fairly easy and didn't need any help. But I was asked several times how feeding was going etc and feel if there had have been problems support was there.

Jessops is busy and I think it is obvious it is under staffed. Small things niggled me during both my birth experiences but on the whole I felt the staff cared for me well and I felt both me and my babies were safe.

So why is the breastfeeding help so bad?

We've just received a letter in a Christmas card telling us that the paediatric nutritionist we know is a 'volunteer breast feeding councellor', but she's in Leeds. Does this just mean that there are no volunteers in Sheffield, or that the NHS in Sheffield doesn't want these people getting underfoot on the wards?

Im in S6, and when i went for a check up whilst pregnant a woman came to sit with me who was the breast feeding counsellor for my area, and gave me details of breast feeding walk-in centres in my local area if i needed help. So there are some in Sheffield-i think the leaflet disappeared with my notes tho.

i went to see my midwife the other week when i told her about my prev experience she told me shes not even going to try and get me to brestfed and will let me do it my way,

which is basically to bottle feed and to express for as long as possible i prefer this as last time i had brest is best the whoe way through only to get no help after