Tesco apologises over 'ginger jibe' Christmas card

I was watching the film with an Asian who lives in Leeds. At one stage he was in tears with laughter. Maybe some people just need to get a sense of humour? Or are you fighting for a law in which jokes cannot be told unless is infringes upon someone's human rights?
Presumably though, both he and you are adults? Poking fun at children, which that card was doing, is never funny. Children don't understand sarcasm or irony and to them it's just being horrible and bullying. If it had no effect on kids, they wouldn't be committing suicide over being bullied and tormented, would they? Are are they just being too sensitive and lacking any sense of humour? :rolleyes:

I don't know where this tormenting and being nasty about people with red hair has come from, it never used to be an issue. Or are people just afraid of the Viking in us? :D

Presumably though, both he and you are adults? Poking fun at children, which that card was doing, is never funny. Children don't understand sarcasm or irony and to them it's just being horrible and bullying. If it had no effect on kids, they wouldn't be committing suicide over being bullied and tormented, would they? Are are they just being too sensitive and lacking any sense of humour? :rolleyes:

I don't know where this tormenting and being nasty about people with red hair has come from, it never used to be an issue. Or are people just afraid of the Viking in us? :D

So we are wrapping kids up in cotton wool are we? A comedy Christmas card is slightly different from months of bullying don't you think?

If we ban everything that might cause offence to a mother because she thinks it will upset the kids then those kids will be in for a rude awakening later on in life.

So we are wrapping kids up in cotton wool are we? A comedy Christmas card is slightly different from months of bullying don't you think?
No and No. It's only a comedy Christmas card if you think it's funny. As has been said, if it'd been a disabled, black or asian kid, the pc bandwagon would have been rolling. And quite rightly so. Appearance is what you're stuck with in life and why should self satisfied oiks make fun of that?

If we ban everything that might [...]upset the kids then those kids will be in for a rude awakening later on in life.
I'm glad for you that you're so robust and were obviously a robust kid. Good for you. You're not Jimmy Carr, are you? :hihi:

Hells bells. Lighten up.

Hells bells. Lighten up.
:huh: Why? I'm as much entitled to my opinion as the rest of you sad acts. When you've got a little kid upset and saddened because they've found out even adults can be insensitive and horrible, tell them to lighten up. I'm sure they'll appreciate you advice. :rolleyes:

No and No. It's only a comedy Christmas card if you think it's funny. As has been said, if it'd been a disabled, black or asian kid, the pc bandwagon would have been rolling. And quite rightly so. Appearance is what you're stuck with in life and why should self satisfied oiks make fun of that?

I'm glad for you that you're so robust and were obviously a robust kid. Good for you. You're not Jimmy Carr, are you? :hihi:

I do think its funny, and I'm sure a lot of ginger people think its funny.

So in you're world it wouldn't be acceptable to make jokes about anyone, play a practical joke on anyone or laugh at someone without their prior consent? It would be a very dull place to be!

:huh: Why? I'm as much entitled to my opinion as the rest of you sad acts. When you've got a little kid upset and saddened because they've found out even adults can be insensitive and horrible, tell them to lighten up. I'm sure they'll appreciate you advice. :rolleyes:

Let's not go anywhere else. It's only a silly card.

Adults CAN be horrible though. You are right. Name-calling can be so hurtful can't it?

On Look North the kids were perfectly happy, it was the idiotic mother who coincidently had dyed her hair red who was the one spouting off! Compensation claim springs to mind...

they may not appreciate it but they may learn that things like that happen in the real world and don't matter in the slightest.

There is no difference there. Both involve poking fun at someone for their appearance.

i agree with you there, I am overweight shall we say but i join in with humour about me. when i am in a crowded pub with drink drinks in my hand i shout "excuse me, fat lad coming through"

they may not appreciate it but they may learn that things like that happen in the real world and don't matter in the slightest.
That's ok then.

Appearance is what you're stuck with in life and why should self satisfied oiks make fun of that?

Maybe if you are black or to a point fat but ginger is a very bad example as you could just dye it.