A Fixed Monthly Meet

Would you be interested in a fixed monthly meet?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in a fixed monthly meet?

• Yes
    • No

Hiyabeing

You are obviously a woman of many brain unlike Winnie the Pooh

Since the two meetings I have attended, I have made private contact with one or two members that I did feel that I might develop a friendship with and for that I give thanks to Geoff and Sheffield Forum.

We have made private arrangements to meet up and develop that private friendship further.

I am not especially happy with the way that this conversation is progressing and speaking as the (Assistant) (and self-appointed) Social Secretary I would say that if you meet someone you like then you are allowed to meet them for real, anywhere you like and however you like.

When I first proposed that we have "a bit of a do" I didnt mean it to be prescriptive, I just hoped that some people might like to come along and meet some other people.

All this talk of polls and suitability is getting a very long way away from where I hoped we would be.

For instance, if I fancy a girly night out with two or three of our members, then I would hope that would be possible. If I would like to lunch with the same or different folk then I would hope that would also be possible.

There are no official gatherings in reality, even though we have had two, because they were not organised by managers of this site, they were organised by enthusiastic and individual members, and other similar members enjoyed coming too.

For what it is worth I think we should give up the concept of formality and allow people with a fancy to set up an evening or an afternoon of interest to do so, and advertise it and those who want to, will come.

Other members who fancy something different (like a trip to that great place in Castleton that has been all over the national news today) should also feel entirely free and at liberty to suggest a time and a place for an event.

I would personally like to draw attention to the regular and welcome contributions from our members who live away from Sheffield like Funke in Florida and Alchresearch in (wherever he is)....I wouldnt want them to think that they couldnt come to Sheffield one day for a very very special trip and just put up a post saying "I will be in the x bar, hope to see you around 7pm" without getting a load of slaver from all and sundry.

We are neither school children nor civil servants (except that some of us are LOL, but you know what I mean) we are all here as people that get some degree of pleasure out of being in the Forum.

Let those who are minded, organise events, those who are minded, attend, and those who dont fancy this one this time, not feel under pressure or criticism if they dont come along.

Let those who dont like smoking organise something in an non-smoking environment and those who do smoke, make their own decisions about turning up.

Likewise with alcohol.

We are all sufficiently grown up to manage our diaries

I think we should be equally grown up to individually suggest a variety of common activities that we might like and encourage others to join in.

ENDS

AS I posted on the parallel thread:

Being as the MAIN idea, I thought, of a Forum meet is to 'meet', socialize and exchange ideas, I vote for #1.

I'm all for 'splinter-groups' meeting, etc - but please, being as many members have their own social lives, and families - can we not concentrate on the main reason for a meet. After a meet. people can do their own thing and go for a meal or to a club, etc, or simply just go home to their family.

The Washington is spacious and not full of tobacco smoke - as you should know Jamie.

I suppose I could make the effort if it was on a Thursday. After all, Manchester is barely more than an hour away, especially if the meet is towards the West end of the city.

I'd just rather have the opportunity to grab a few beers because I am immensely shy and wouldnt say a peep if I was sober and driving back!

BUT, I noticed the last meet carried on until the wee small hours and I usually like to hang on till the bitter end!

Speaking entirely for myself, I would really be pleased if you were able to make it over into the enemy county for a beer or two. Maybe you can persuade one of the guys to put you up for the night if you took a day off the following day, I just bet you are owed a few.

You are such a regular and important part of our Forum, it would be a shame if we couldnt make that extra effort to let you in to the White Rose County *wink, LOL, wink*

Originally posted by LouiseB

Speaking entirely for myself, I would really be pleased if you were able to make it over into the enemy county for a beer or two. Maybe you can persuade one of the guys to put you up for the night if you took a day off the following day, I just bet you are owed a few.

You are such a regular and important part of our Forum, it would be a shame if we couldnt make that extra effort to let you in to the White Rose County *wink, LOL, wink*

Yeah, I need some relaxing time with 'normal' people who speak properly and know what a breadcake is!

Didn't Funke88 say she was coming over to Sheffield soon? As she is travelling the furtherest perhaps we could revolve it around that?

Originally posted by alchresearch

Didn't Funke88 say she was coming over to Sheffield soon? As she is travelling the furtherest perhaps we could revolve it around that?

I TOTALLY agree A - great idea!

I think a monthly meet is a good idea, though I won't be attending any for fear of getting my ass kicked.

PS. IM BACK

Originally posted by t020

I think a monthly meet is a good idea, though I won't be attending any for fear of getting my ass kicked.

PS. IM BACK

.....and as annoying as ever I hope?

So, what shall we talk about? Gays or Ecclesall Road? ;)

Originally posted by t020

PS. IM BACK

Welcome back mate!

Despite myself, I'm quite glad to see you!

Ok, I finally feel brave enough to actually say something on this forum. I really like this site (I've been visiting it for a while but have only recently registered.)

I read the postings on here often enough to feel I sort of recognise some of you - albeit I sort of think of you as the little avatars you use :blush:

I love the idea of a regular meet particularly as I'm new to Sheffield ( I've been here less than a year.) :)

Originally posted by Siân

Ok, I finally feel brave enough to actually say something on this forum. I really like this site (I've been visiting it for a while but have only recently registered.)

I read the postings on here often enough to feel I sort of recognise some of you - albeit I sort of think of you as the little avatars you use :blush:

I love the idea of a regular meet particularly as I'm new to Sheffield ( I've been here less than a year.) :)

Welcome Siân. I may have to change my avatar if people see me as a big soft pussycat.