What do you think to the hype of Avatar?

DO you think it will knock Titanic - off the ALL time Highest grossing movie of all time

I hope it does,,, hate how long its lasted at No1 Dark Knight was Ace - should have knocked it off!!

!!:

Or who woul you say should be number 1

Edited by kasim

Avatar got a truly abysmal review on "Front Row" last night.

sorry what is Front Row???!!

Radio Four's nightly reviews programme.

I hope its good, it took how long to make it lol?!!?

The Daily Mail is split, on Saturday the critic pulled it to pieces, but on Sunday another critic gave it four stars. Im now trying to decide whether to go and see it.:huh:

i thought it was absolutely fantastic: best film i have ever seen. see it in 3d

Avatar will not come close to knocking Titanic off the top grossing film chart. For one it doesn't have a heart-throb lead character in it for the 14 year old girls to swoon over and pay to rewatch over and over again. Also, despite all the hype the film will not change the face of cinema, nor does it show anything that we haven't seen before. It is just another motion-captured CGI filled film - albeit a decent one.

Some folk are raving on how it is the best film of all time - they can't have seen many films! Heck, it ain't even the best james Cameron film (Terminator and Aliens are much more rewatchable). Best film of the year? Not in my book...off the top of my head I enjoyed Star Trek, Up, and Hurt Locker more (there are probably a few other films for that list, but they spring to mind). Heck, even Sherlock Holmes has me wanting to rewatch it when it comes out at the weekend (yup...I've seen it! One of the benefits of working at a cinema), whereas with Avatar, I'm not that bothered if I ever see it again.

The film is a prime example of excessive hype over substance. Yes, the end result is a decent film, but it is not what the hype has tried to make out it would be. The sad thing is that if it makes back the substantial $300million, then studio execs are poised to flip the 'go' switch on most of their future output being in 3D - even if said film doesn't need it. Cue execs forcing film-makers to insert some 'jump out the screen' moments just for a gimmick.

Thanks for the review, Beaker. I'll avoid it as there are loads of other films to see.

I trust your reviews more than Rossy! :)

The film is a prime example of excessive hype over substance. Yes, the end result is a decent film, but it is not what the hype has tried to make out it would be. The sad thing is that if it makes back the substantial $300million, then studio execs are poised to flip the 'go' switch on most of their future output being in 3D - even if said film doesn't need it. Cue execs forcing film-makers to insert some 'jump out the screen' moments just for a gimmick.

It is overhyped and has a plot that we've all seen before (Dances With Smurfs is a very good description) but it's still worth a look I think. It could be just as good in 2D but the use of 3D was generally more subtle than 'jump out of the screen', things like having ash from a fire floating by. Ok sometimes they weren't so subtle like having the characters do certain actions for no apparent reason other than to show off a fancy bit of 3D CGI. It didn't really make me want to watch anything else in 3D though.

I thought the ability to have CGI characters convey emotion properly was the best thing in it. It was very well done, even better than Gollum. It's been one of the greatest flaws in CGI characters but Cameron pulled it off.

I saw Avatar in 3D and really enjoyed it, but it definately has been over-hyped. It is a good film, and personally I think it is far better than Titanic (I am absolutely mystified as to why this film is so popular) but don't expect it to change your life!

in my oppinion it is soo much better than titanic. the story is great and modern too, basically about the sky people wanting to take over another planet because they destroyed theirs. its worth a watch at the cinema in 3D. i give it a 10/10 for sure