The 2009/10 Snow Megathread

I wondered when they'd update to match the BBC weather centre!

Yes, it does look like snow tomorrow, especially evening and into Monday. Looks like schools may be shut Monday again. But later next week looks much better!

This bit worried me though:

icing on power lines is possible

In which way is it better more snow or a thaw:hihi:

In which way is it better more snow or a thaw:hihi:

No, still cold, but the weather will come off the Atlantic instead of the North Sea so less chance of us copping for it!

No, still cold, but the weather will come off the Atlantic instead of the North Sea so less chance of us copping for it!

Mind i bet if it does do the possibly snowfall tomorow of maybe a foot on top of whats already down, that will take some thawing unless it turns very mild quickly, which then would cause floods!.

Ive seen piles of snow already 3 or 4 foot high where peoples piled them up, i can see us seeing snow around for a while even if its not falling from the sky:hihi:

Well I've had a drive about today as I had to take the dog to agility in Beighton and then over to Barnsley (Wombwell) for his training walk. It is really pretty out in the countryside.

Barnsley has more snow than we have back in Sheffield all the roads are still pretty slushy and in places the slush is that high in the centre of the road my little fiesta was just clearing it :lol: Was really proud that I managed to get my little car down the country lanes without sliding or losing grip but really did not enjoy it. Was a pleasure to get back onto the main roads even if they were slushy :) and great to get back onto Sheffield's main roads.

I love the snow and am so glad it has hung around long enough to be able to enjoy it properly as by the time you get in from work it's dark and in the morning it's dark, as beautiful as it is then you can't beat walking in the sun :) Hoping to go on a nice walk into the Peaks tomorrow but waiting to see what the weather looks like in the morning.

I spent an hour and a half digging my car out this morning. Didn't have much choice really as I'd run out of food and needed to do a run to Morrisons at Catcliffe. It was a regular bun fight when I got there. Kudos to the trolley guys who were in high spirits and charging about bringing trolleys to the front of the store. How they keep their sense of humour when people are on the verge of scrapping over trolleys I'll never know! They brightened my day with their cheery disposition anyway!

Managed to get some grub and drive safely back home again. I'm really, really proud of myself as chronic fatigue is an element of my disability, but I managed to clear alot of snow using a plastic dustpan and bucket, and drive along my road which is still covered in snow and a little packed stuff.

:banana::clap::hihi:

Mind i bet if it does do the possibly snowfall tomorow of maybe a foot on top of whats already down, that will take some thawing unless it turns very mild quickly, which then would cause floods!.

Ive seen piles of snow already 3 or 4 foot high where peoples piled them up, i can see us seeing snow around for a while even if its not falling from the sky:hihi:

If there's a quick thaw then flooding is inevitable! York have just bought in a load of sandbags, ready for it. Plus the ground will stay very hard and frozen for a while even if the snow melts so there's nowhere for floodwater to sink at all.

I think tomorrow the snow will start around tea time - a good thing as everyone will have finished their shopping etc and carry on right on until Monday lunchtime. Even if it's not heavy, if it snows for that long there'll be more than enough to put us back. Up to 6" of snow but with added drifting, and a foot in places. It's a good old Pennine snow storm.

The Mountain forecast gives a High risk of hypothermia for those out in the Peaks today unless fully equipped. Brrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look's like all the main routes into the peak district from Sheffield are going to be cut off soon i have just been up to fox house the wind is whipping up the snow and has buried the walls the snow is now blowing onto the roads i dare say it won't be long before the roads get completely blocked.

I know from previous experience how bad it can get after getting stuck up at Owler bar after a lorry had jacknifed and hit the snow drift that had blocked the road, mountain rescue had to dig us out would you believe.

Be careful if you venture out into the peak district especially if you aren't driving a 4x4.:)

Morissons at ecclesfield was chaos today,people panick buying. It was rammed and everyone was going mad for bread and milk. And there was us doing our general weekly shop.

The only thing bugging me is that my bin has not been emptied for 2 week so rubish is piling up.

Just been to morrisons at Catcliffe, people queueing down the aisles, busier than christmas, its not like the shops are going to shut or anything, get a grip people.

It was like Christmas at Mozza's in Bramley on Wednesday too - not a trolley to be had.

Just been to morrisons at Catcliffe, people queueing down the aisles, busier than christmas, its not like the shops are going to shut or anything, get a grip people.

Surely your post would be more fitting in a thread called something like "Panic buying from shops" along with the others who post same.

Surely your post would be more fitting in a thread called something like "Panic buying from shops" along with the others who post same.

Cheer up, it might never happen.