The 2009/10 Snow Megathread

We may be having a cold spell, but on ukww theres talk of 1963, now if that was to ever come back can you imagine the uk!, it would collapse like a deck of cards for months!. I dont mind snow but the country would collapse big time!

Up to 20cm (7.8in) of snow is forecast for parts of South Yorkshire and the south of London - from Essex to Brighton.

Page last updated at 21:29 GMT, Friday, 8 January 2010:help:

Up to 20cm (7.8in) of snow is forecast for parts of South Yorkshire and the south of London - from Essex to Brighton.

Page last updated at 21:29 GMT, Friday, 8 January 2010:help:

The Essex to Brighton bit was mentioned on the national forecast but there was nothing said about S. Yorks.

What 'page' are you quoting from ??

We may be having a cold spell, but on ukww theres talk of 1963, now if that was to ever come back can you imagine the uk!, it would collapse like a deck of cards for months!. I dont mind snow but the country would collapse big time!

You're probably right. 63 was fun;)

There's a product made in Switzerland (and available in the UK) called 'Spikes Spider'. ( the URL [which I can't post 'cos I'm a 'newbie') would be ***.spikes-spider.ch/)

(I have no connection with this company, so this isnt a 'plug' for any commercial gain.)

The product works very well. (I have a friend who drives regularly in fairly deep snow.) It's not cheap - probably cost you about 150 quid a set - but that's probably less than the cost of even a minor shunt.

They fit in seconds (you mount the carriers on each wheel using the wheelbolts - they stay on for the winter and then the spiders attach and detach in seconds.)

It's probably a bit late for this winter, but then again, if this winter turns out to be like that of 63, there's a few more months to go yet.

I've been following the UK news - which seems to be mainly about the snow. I understand the temperatures there range from about -8 to freezing in most places. It's been like that here for a while, too. - Unseasonably warm.

When Sheffield was getting its first batch of snow (just before Christmas) we had about 8" lying on the ground and the night time temperatures were about -18, rising to a high of -6. (We got our first snow a bit early this year - 14th October.)

The UK always seems to have trouble with weather - and weather always seems to come as a surprise:hihi:

If it doesn't rain for more than 3 days, the news screams about 'the drought'. If it does rain for 3 days, we hear about 'the floods'.

If the temperature gets up to 20'C, the UK is in a 'heatwave' - and should it get as high as 25'C, the roads melt and the country grinds to a halt.

In winter, when it gets cold (surprise, surprise;) ) as soon as the temperature approaches freezing there are dire broadcasts about 'arctic blasts' and at the first sign of snow, the country grinds to a halt.

Perhaps 15'C and steady drizzle would be 'ideal UK weather'

The Essex to Brighton bit was mentioned on the national forecast but there was nothing said about S. Yorks.

What 'page' are you quoting from ??

Massive upgrade for Yorkshire, especially West Yorkshire from the 18Z for Sunday/Mondays snow event. Loads more precipitation about and some potentially disruptive conditions likely to occur!

Ok weather forum:)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8449189.stm

That would be quite a lot of snow on what is already on the ground tbh!

That report looks bizarre, why say "South Yorkshire and the south of London"? Surely that has to be a mistake grouping 2 completely different places together... I think the BBC must be trying to prove us all wrong that they do report on things north of Watford but its actually a typo...

If the buses stop running it will probably be pretty bad, and you might not be able to drive either. But I can't see it being that heavy by tomoro, it's only light and infrequent atm :(.

Hi Nat', I'm gonna do a snow dance! :hihi:

Hi Nat', I'm gonna do a snow dance! :hihi:

Do it now, quickly :hihi:

Not sure about the BBC news report on the web, that seems a bit odd as nowhere else, including the BBC weather centre is forecasting 7" of snow for South Yorkshire tonight!

Late forecast has just been on anyway, and it still shows flurries overnight, and flurries on Sunday/Monday but with immense amounts of snow for the SE. This was Rob McElwee, he says there's a sign the high pressure block will start to move northwards next week allowing in Atlantic systems - and the middle of next week the area to cop for it will be the South West. Will still be bloody cold here though.