The 2009/10 Snow Megathread

Can't belive my eyes just seen a snow plough in handsworth on St joesph's road even took a pic as evidence see link:-

http://www.goingoutinsheffield.com

SKY and BBC news, this morning we got the North moving South, now we will get the South moving North :hihi: Enjoy.

Um sorry to be a complete pain but was it on the tv or on the net? I can't find about the south weather moving north on the net :confused:

Worrall has around 5/6" of it and it's still coming, built a 6ft snowman with my son about 2 hours ago and i cannot see any of the grass which the building process uncovered!!

had a quick look at sky news weather, met office, yahoo weather, and bbc weather, looks like more is on the way for most of the week.

enjoy it if you can while you can, because next to come are the floods when it all melts!!

Nice :hihi:

Um sorry to be a complete pain but was it on the tv or on the net? I can't find about the south weather moving north on the net :confused:

Was on TV, Poster above has also seen it.

How deep is your snow???

Warroll 6"

I've just been out for a walk and Meresbrook park looks absolutely spectacular, i also took the time to make a snow bunny ^^.

The more snow the better, i can't get enough of it right now!

Email from the Met from another Forum:

We are facing one of the worst snow events this country has seen in years (possible as much as 30). As you know the last two weeks have been very wintry with ice a major feature. Today the north is taking a pounding, particularly the North of Scotland and Northern England with up to 15 cm of fresh snow in places.

Later today, tonight and tomorrow it will be the turn of the South to take the worst with the potential for an exceptional event centred over central southern England, with over 30 cm possible in some areas. During tomorrow the snow event will transfer towards London and the Southeast.

We are planning to go 'red' meaning an early warning of an extreme event will be issued. Clearly this will cause severe problems across parts of the country.

A press release is being prepared and a 'traffic light' map will highlight areas most at risk for tomorrow's event.

The website will also be updated with snow stories.

Thereafter (for the next 10 days at least) the weather over the UK and much of northern Europe remains bitterly cold and wintry.

It's not going to melt much over those 10 days I wouldn't think?

Edited by barny_100

So why did my friends have to walk all the way home from town if buses and trams are running?

Erm.....

Maybe they didn't live on the tram route? Maybe they didn't live on the routes where the buses could actually run? (Given the hills in Sheffield!)

Not everyone does live on the tram or a convenient bus route, you know.

If I wanted to get the tram to the city centre, my nearest tram stop would actually be one stop away from the city centre, and a mile-and-a-half to two-mile wheel to get there. The sums don't add up.

I thing it was about 79 we last had it like this

The winter of 78/79 was a very bad winter, this winter is probably the worst we've had since that one.

I managed to get over to my parents house in Darnall after catching a tram and then dragging the suitcase for ages. It acted like some sort of snowplough through the lower end of Darnall. It was ridiculous and my gosh, it took forever.

I am now working on getting hold of a taxi. Each one that i have called have had none in the area though! I am going to get home tonight, i cant actually cope in this house hahahaha.

Thank you to everyone for you advice

I hope that all of the people in worst situations get home safely and are wrapped up warm :)