The 2009/10 Snow Megathread

So there's plenty that could be done, and a lot of these are obvious, and there's a lot more. We just choose not to bother.

I think the main reason that "we choose not to bother" is that we get a snow fall like today once every few years - most of Canada gets it all winter... After the last lot of very bad winters -a few councils actually splashed out on snow ploughs - which duly lay gathering dust for years in the garages...

Does anyone know if the trams are runningfrom town to middlewood?

Thanks to you guy on Sheffield forum !! As I mentioned earlier, I was booked in for a MRI at Thornbury this morning. Mr OH was all for driving this morning and I pointed out how irresponsible it would be to go anywhere in this weather with someone who is unable to walk at the best of times, let alone in snow !!

A bit of a downer as it means a longer wait to get sorted .. but better safe than sorry !

I was all for driving to work too (even started the car up) until her indoors persuaded me to leave it and im glad i did now!!

She always says i never listen lol - glad i did on this occasion!! Well done wifey :hihi:

All well and good if you get snow for say 4-6 months of the year but there is no point putting all that in place and spending the money on snow chains / snow shoes for the whole population when we only get it for a few days out of the year.

Would you rather your council tax be spent on getting prepared for a few days or snow or health, education, roads etc

I would rather my council tax was spent on being prepared for snow than some of the things it IS spent on.

How much does it cost the country when everything grinds to a halt for 24hours and people don't go to work?

Where is the accident on Southey Green Rd?

There was a lorry jack knifed on the middle of the hill if thats what you mean :o

Snow more or less stopped now. So lets get the roads running again!:D

Just measured the snow in West Mosborough - 4" (10cm)

When, exactly is the global warming going to start? I am not usually an impatient man but............ :-)

Yes mine just arrived too. He set off at half six so try not to fret it will just be taking them ages :)

thanks, i am fretting, lol.

Does anyone know if the X4 and X5 are running Dinnington -Sheffield as they are classes as Rotherham First buses. Has anyone seen one?

I was all for driving to work too (even started the car up) until her indoors persuaded me to leave it and im glad i did now!!

She always says i never listen lol - glad i did on this occasion!! Well done wifey :hihi:

Well, I made an effort with the car - got as far as Ecclesfield and I've had to abandon it! So me and our 10 year old have had to walk home:mad:

I have to say, I've seen no signs of any gritting anywhere, even Barnsley road - which I would consider a main arterial route - is practically inpassable to all but 4 x 4's..

Yeah Snow is thinning out, Then again this is what happened at around 6 -7am it started heavy, thinned out and they came heavy again so I wouldn't do anything drastic yet