The 2009/10 Snow Megathread

Is anyone else having a snow day today. To cheer people up Forgiven Tattoo on Cricket Inn Road are having a 70% sale, (just read on my facebook). Wow I'm off there right now. Now what to get???? A (snow) angel or my kids names. Hmmm!

Is anyone else having a snow day today. To cheer people up Forgiven Tattoo on Cricket Inn Road are having a 70% sale, (just read on my facebook). Wow I'm off there right now. Now what to get???? A (snow) angel or my kids names. Hmmm!

70% sale of what? Snow?

Is anyone else having a snow day today.

No some of us have jobs, the main roads are all easily passible so anyone who does have a snow day off work, clearly dont value their job.

No some of us have jobs, the main roads are all easily passible so anyone who does have a snow day off work, clearly dont value their job.

Just because the Main Roads are clear doesnt mean the side roads are, and not everyone lives 5minutes from a main road, and remember you have to be able to get home as well...

Ha ha hah ....... :hihi:

Sad WUM.

I can remember the bypass being shut once, just after it opened. It was about 20 years ago. I was stuck at my friends at Wortley for 4 days! what are the roads in Stocksbridge like? I've seen a few nutters trying to get up through Wigtwizzle, can see lots of car lights there so they are obviously all stuck!

the roads around stocksbridge(apart from manchester road)are unpassable unless you have the right machine i.e 4x4 or winter tyres

the council have finally arrived with 1 grit wagon,but the road clearing is gonna take time i feel,but i have heard they are focusing there main efforts on carr road,thus allowing people to get to higher ground

cedar road and hole house lane are shocking,compacted snow and ice :help:

marcus

Thanks for that Scoobyroo, I need to try to get my car from its abandoned position on the main road, Carr Road was apparently all but impassable last night so we shall have to see...

Just because the Main Roads are clear doesnt mean the side roads are, and not everyone lives 5minutes from a main road, and remember you have to be able to get home as well...

And? I dont live 5 mins from a main road, the snow was over the front bumper on my car, after a little hard work I was on my way.

I suppose the benefit this morning was that the people who cant drive in the snow stayed home so the roads ran pretty smoothly.

I could have had a 'snow day' but I value my job and wouldn't want to let my collegues down, I work with people from all over the city and they all managed to get in without any issues, and none have 4x4's.

Edited by Bonjon

Thanks for that Scoobyroo, I need to try to get my car from its abandoned position on the main road, Carr Road was apparently all but impassable last night so we shall have to see...

I walked from up near hole house lane using the estate roads to Carr road this morning and they are all impassable unless you have a 4x4. Carr road is just about ok now but very slushy

Out of curiosity (okay, I'm nosey) have there been a high number of injuries involving accidents walking in this weather? xxx

I walked down from the tram stop on Birley Lane yesterday afternoon and slipped :( my ankle gave way beneath me and my leg crumpled, I heard and felt a crack somewhere and managed somehow to get myself back up and hobble the rest of the way home. I still havent been able to get out and get to the hospital but have a suspicious looking swelling about 5 inches above my left ankle bone and it's absolute agony :( Just been icing and elevating for now till I can get to hospital but fearing the worst. Interestingly, I was obviously struggling to get myself back up and not one person stopped to help me.

I walked down from the tram stop on Birley Lane yesterday afternoon and slipped :( my ankle gave way beneath me and my leg crumpled, I heard and felt a crack somewhere and managed somehow to get myself back up and hobble the rest of the way home. I still havent been able to get out and get to the hospital but have a suspicious looking swelling about 5 inches above my left ankle bone and it's absolute agony :( Just been icing and elevating for now till I can get to hospital but fearing the worst. Interestingly, I was obviously struggling to get myself back up and not one person stopped to help me.

My instant reaction when someone falls over whether it's icy or not is to go over and offer assistance if I can, even though I'm disabled. I don't understand people who just walk on by. Even someone coming over and asking if you're okay means alot.

I think this weather brings out the best and worst in people- saw an AA van stopped at side of road helping someone who had obviously fallen in hillsborough the other day, he was helping her up whilst loads of people just walked past! I was driving the other way and there wasnt anywhere to pull in so i couldnt stop, but couldnt beleive people that were actually walking along didnt stop or even acknowledge her!