The 2009/10 Snow Megathread

I do think a real time web page of local gritting, together with planned gritting routes/approx times would be eseential for journey planning.....every little helps and it would help people then avoid ungritted roads and risk getting stuck......technically quite easyto do.....

It's not just a case of 'we've put grit down, it's fine' though, is it? Not sure grit will do much good on this much snow, and it only really works if cars drive over it before it gets covered.

It's not just a case of 'we've put grit down, it's fine' though, is it? Not sure grit will do much good on this much snow, and it only really works if cars drive over it before it gets covered.

but every little helps is the point........

but every little helps is the point........

Wouldn't it be better to conserve the stocks of grit, and us it when it do the most good?

Kian, why dont you phone them?

it must be bad, just heard on Radio Sheffield, the Sheffield Wednesday club shop is closed.

You can return your tickets on line.

I do think a real time web page of local gritting, together with planned gritting routes/approx times would be essential for journey planning.....every little helps and it would help people then avoid ungritted roads and risk getting stuck......technically quite easy to do.....even if the Council would publish the gritters routes and order of routes would be good....

The council do publish grit routes, just put 'sheffield council grit' into google

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/maintenance/winter-maintenance/priority-routes

I can just imagine a pied piper style convoy of traffic following one poor grit wagon around Sheffield :lol: How many drivers will have access to real time information on a website whilst in their vehicles?

Not much grit left, Just passed Deepcar Dumpit and Grit depot, around 20% left.

At the moment, I'm on a train from swindon to cheltenham spa and then changing to get a train to Sheffield. I'm due to arrive in Sheffield at 1:17pm but I'm scared. I have a big, pink, heavy suitcase. Any ideas how I'm going To manage getting home? I live right up in Stannington. I could get a taxi but I doubt ill be able to! Oh gosh :(

Anyone have any ideas? Or a few huskies? Send them with a blanket though because I'm on the train now but am soooooo cold...? Help me ;(

You could get a tram as far as Malin Bridge

latest: http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/News/Reported+Service+Alterations.htm

At the moment, I'm on a train from swindon to cheltenham spa and then changing to get a train to Sheffield. I'm due to arrive in Sheffield at 1:17pm but I'm scared. I have a big, pink, heavy suitcase. Any ideas how I'm going To manage getting home? I live right up in Stannington. I could get a taxi but I doubt ill be able to! Oh gosh :(

Anyone have any ideas? Or a few huskies? Send them with a blanket though because I'm on the train now but am soooooo cold...? Help me ;(

Hotel? You might get a good rate as they'll probably have quite a few cancel.

Edited by Snook

This snow is refusing to go away, its extremely thin now but its still going! I hear 12ish is when we are forecast more heavy snow

Oh yeh, never thought about a hotel! Think that might be a good idea, at least you have a suitcase (full of clothes i hope!) with you! Travel lodge central is £40 tonight.

My sister says she saw a gritter going up Stannington rd.

I wouldn't be as bothered if walking wads an option but this case is huge! Lol. I'm determined not to do what I normally do and start crying haha. Once I'm on my connecting train, ill have give the taxi idea a roll:)

I hope you get back home Safely :)