My daughter is being bullied at school..some advice please

My 5 year old is having some difficulties with another girl in her class, who has been pushing and hitting her. She has now decided that she doesn't like school any more. We have mentioned it to the teacher, but I'm not sure if anything will happen. My daughter is the tallest in the class, but is very gentle and has been taught never to hit, so she doesn't fight back. I am loathed to tell her to do so as I feel it would destroy all our hard work in teaching her to respect other people.

What should I do?

I would speak to the headteacher of the school, make an appointment and take it from there, good luck its awful for anyone to be bullied

We have been through this with our daughter and the only way to sort it out is to be very insistant with the teacher and the head and demand that it is nipped in the bud before it gets any worse. You have to push and push every day until it is sorted if all else fails i was advised to go to ofsted if i thought the school were brushing it under the carpet. Good luck !

Sorry to hear that your child is being bullied.

Even more sorry to hear that you have to put pressure on the school to actually do something about it. I thought schools were really big on stamping out bullying?

How long is it since you mentioned it to the teacher and what did the teacher actually say? If the teacher has said she will deal with it and it has only been a short time and you have had no sign the incident has been repeated then the teacher will have dealt with it. If however it is continuing or you are concerned about your child being nervous about school, a friendly word to the head may sort things. Schools have a procedure for dealing with incidents. If unfortunately you are still having problems you can put a formal complaint addressed to the head and one to the govenors. If they have not responded to you, you can then complain to the LEA. I think the teacher will have responded but just that it won't be obvious to you. She will be dealing with 5 year olds after all so her approach will be different from dealing with older children.

The teacher seems to have a handle on it in the classroom, but as soon as it's break or lunch time, there seems to be no communication with the other staff, and they don't seem to know. It is still going on, daily. My daughter even got into trouble the other day for turning her back on the girl who was bullying her in the queue for lunch. She got sent to the back of the line for being rude! humph

Im sorry to hear that your daughter is being bullied.

What are the pros and cons of teaching a child to hit back if being hit by someone else first?

In a perfect world, the system should take care of the issues, but in a realistic reality, we should teach our children to defend themselves first, sort it out later?

My 2.5 year old is being hit at daycare by a few of the other older boys (3+ years) and Im not sure what to advise my son...

Poor sweetheart the school never seems to listen in some cases if it his at dinner time maybe you could take her home for dinner or insist that something his done or else you will pull her out of that school and if you dtill feel that their is nobody listening to you as a concerned parent then if i was you i would get the name of the school govenors as the child his only young that his bullying your daughter heaven help her when she is older. in all of this you need to do what you think his best for your daughter as at 5 she shouldnt be afraid to go to school

Problem sorted! I have just been to parents evening and the teacher has told me that the little girl who was causing the problem is now coping better with her home life (problems at home) and is not causing trouble.

However, I did not point out to her that the day it all stopped was the day I finally lost my rag and told my daughter that, in this instance, she should give her a good punch back in self defense, but if I heard of her ever hitting again, there would be trouble. She took this on board very well and gave her a short sharp smack back when she hit her....problem, apparently, solved....hoooray for diplomacy.

The child is no longer hitting anyone at the school.

My heart really goes out to this child though and I feel sorry for her Mum, who is really, really nice.

What school is it - if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry, I don't think I should really say that on here. Not because I think there's a privacy issue, but because, apart from this one problem, the school is fantastic and I wouldn't want to tarnish its reputation for other people thinking of sending their kids there.