Sheffield corner shops past and present.

Down Rudyard Road in the old days we had four corner shops living so close to all the Hillsborough shops I wonder how they made them pay,but they must have done at the time, funny but there is not one left now.

when i was a child we used to go to the shops on east bank rd at the side of pearl motors,one was ellisons the other was piercys.

my mom sent me one sunday afternoon to ellisons and the shop was shut,i tried the door and their dog came bounding at the glass door and came straight thro it ripping my dress from the waist down.

we used to go in piercys and pinch penny arrow bars and other sweets and go and sit in the scrap cars at the side of pearl motors scoffing.oh what naughty girls we were.ha ha

Down Rudyard Road in the old days we had four corner shops living so close to all the Hillsborough shops I wonder how they made them pay,but they must have done at the time, funny but there is not one left now.
yes nellie they used to have big jelly bears and black jacks.

there was a little shop on minto rd owned for years by an old lady,she lived in the back and it was so cramped i loved going in when i was a kid its turned back into a house now

I remember Bucklow's corner shop near Concord Park Gates - corner of Bellhouse Rd and Shiregreen Lane in the forties and fifties. Large bottles of Dandelion and Burdock plus lemonade, limeade, ice cream soda etc were favourites then...or an ice cream on your way home from the park.

dont call you arthur do they? married to cyril wyatts sister?

Hi,there okismoki,nice to meet you. tried to p.m.you,but i think i got it wrong, (new at this game).Yes you've got it correct, i'm married to cyrils sister.If you could p.m. me,then i'll try to get it right next time. I'm thinking that you live on HALIFAX RD. Would i be correct? Cheers. eightlegger.

i remember that shop but i never went in it but my wife would have done as she only lived

just up clevedon street betty clarke i remember a terry suter

your a woollen

Hi there,awoollen.Terry was my cousin and lived at the bottom of CLEVEDON ST.Had not seen him for almost fifty years,until feb.this year 2010, when the family's were attending funerals.eightlegger.

I grew up in Tinsley,can anyone remember Bosworths shop on Norborough road? with all the jars of sweets in the window,spoilt for choice! And a bit further down,Mollys beer off? I remember a little fruit shop half way down Raby street,cant remember the name though. It brings back some happy memories of growing up round Tinsley in the 70s/early 80s.[/quote

I grew up in Tinsley,can anyone remember Bosworths shop on Norborough road? with all the jars of sweets in the window,spoilt for choice! And a bit further down,Mollys beer off? I remember a little fruit shop half way down Raby street,cant remember the name though. It brings back some happy memories of growing up round Tinsley in the 70s/early 80s.

I also grew up in Tinsley in the 40s!! and lived opposite Shaws fruit shop on Town St on the other corner of Newburn Road was Bennets chip shop on the front aswe called it [sheffield Rd] there was every shop you could think of happy days

A few I remember:

Carol's on the corner of Crookesmoor Road and Crookes Road, in Broomhill.

Laxton's at the bottom of Clarke Street, at the junction of Upper Hanover Street in Broomhall.

Hills Corner in Nether Edge.

Edited by boyfriday

anyone remember the corner shop on ranby rd ,carrington rd ,aurthur hales was the shop ,he had everything ,a proper ronnie barker type corner shop brilliant ,he had the old bacon slicer which he turned by hand

anyone remember the corner shop on ranby rd ,carrington rd ,aurthur hales was the shop ,he had everything ,a proper ronnie barker type corner shop brilliant ,he had the old bacon slicer which he turned by hand

i do.....they were my grandparents.

Arthur, now has very bad alzhimers, and is in a home. my nan died in 2000.

that berkels bacon machine, is in the old church museum, just below hunters bar.

i put a few fotos up many years ago on my website..

http://www.julianhales.co.uk/grandparents.htm

i drove past today after i took my dog in endcliffe park (i named my dog arthur after my granddad, and last year my granddads memory just about totally gone, the last person he could remember was my dog)