Sheffield corner shops past and present.

Pierrepoint's fruit shop actually has its own thread, and here is a photo of the shop (click on 'Zoom' to enlarge).

When I did a bit of research in relation to the Pierrepoint thread I found that the 1925 directory listed "William Pierrepoint, greengrocer" at 753 Attercliffe Road. This William Pierrepoint was evidently born in Barnsley in 1880 and died in Sheffield in 1970. I was able to trace some members of his family, but I was unable to find a proven link with the Pierrepoint dynasty of executioners - though there may of course be a family relationship. The surname Pierrepoint is French, and is particularly common in Nottinghamshire due to the French Huguenot lacemakers who settled there.

I also remember Pierrepoint's fruit shop on Attercliffe Road. As dave50 wrote, the single-storey shop is still there, but it's in a sorry state with the roof falling in etc., as shown by the photo that carsupplier linked to the main thread. I also heard that the executioner Albert Pierrepoint was related to the shopkeeper. I don't know if this was just a local theory in view of the uncommon surname, or actually the case.

i remember a shop on bellhouse rd called joe goulds i think. he used to sell you 1 egg or a couple of slices of bread.1 cigarette and a match if you were broke. that would be in the 70's.

My Nan lived on Harrington Place, now demolished at Heeley. There was a lovely corner shop at the top. She used to give me my threepenny bit and I used to run up to the shop to spend it. There were jars of sweeties, some tin stuff, a bit of bread and veg and a bacon slicer. Of course I spent my money on sweeties and normally fell down running back down the hill to my nans, at which stage I got a clip from my mum and the painful experience of having gravel removed from my knee!

bens on the corner of newhall road/brightside lane....and the old lady,s shop actually on newhall road,dont remember her name,but you could get a small glass of fizzy pop for a penny

what about the little green hut on the spare ground onthe scowerdons farm estate years ago , run by jeff?

its now called the kiosk i think, and is now a real building and at the side of a community centre.. the little green hut sold alsorts , i was always amazed at just how much that little hut held and sold!!!:o

Val's on Albert Road. Brilliant & lovingly missed by all of meersbrook

Val's on Albert Road. Brilliant & lovingly missed by all of meersbrook

Was this the one on the corner of Shirebrook Road? I used to go in there in the late 60's, early 70's. Once got a cream cake and licked the top off only to find it was all green and mouldy underneath. Still I'm still here so couldn't have been that bad!

i used to live on coniston road off abbeydale road in the 50s and 60s and there was a corner shop at each end, the bottom end was called cardwells but cant remember the name of the other at the top end

mel

my parents use to own the bakehouse and shop corner of 300 springvale road and I think it was mona road? its many many years ago.......bevnee

In the early 1950's I remember a fruit & veg shop on Anns Road, Heeley which had a coconut hung up inside that looked like the face of an old witch. Must have left a significant impression! The shop was on the corner of either Myrtle Road or Alexandra Road but I can't recall its name. Anyone else remember it?

The greengrocers on the corner of Anns Road and Alexandra Road was owned by Mr.& Mrs. Beet in the 1960's.

There was also a greengrocers around the corner from this one which was on Richards Road called Thornhills, it was next to the corner shop on Anns Road.

Corner of Cross Addy Street and Addy Street in the late 50's early60's. This was Goldthorpe's previously run by Marshall's and before that Mason's who were the landlords who moved next door to run the Chippy.