Sheffield corner shops past and present.

In the early 1950's I remember a fruit & veg shop on Anns Road, Heeley which had a coconut hung up inside that looked like the face of an old witch. Must have left a significant impression! The shop was on the corner of either Myrtle Road or Alexandra Road but I can't recall its name. Anyone else remember it?

In the 50's there was a shop built in to a row of terraced houses on Manchester Road, Crosspool. They sold a bit of everything. Kennelly's I think it was. Later became a hairdressers I think.

...as there aren't any traditional corner shops within a mile or more of where I live (and hadn't been any for a decade or more before our Tesco Express opened) then I make no apologies for going to Tesco....:)

Quite right - the decline of the corner shop left a gap in the market which Tesco Express have tried to fill - with some success. The fact is that such firms as Tesco can survive in the modern economic climate, while the traditional corner shops, for all their attributes, have declined.

A 'corner' shop that I remember from my childhood was Siddall's off-licence in Whitehouse Road. Sam Siddall sold everything from bottles of Guinness to Hoover bags, and from tins of beans to bundles of firelighters. Regular customers could have things "on t' slate", and Sam's wife Freda was a good source of reliable local gossip.;)

On the corner of Brooklyn Road and Albert Road in S8 there was an old-fashioned grocers that sold sweets and survived up to the early 80s... traditional glass jars etc...

There was one on the corner of Greystones Rd and Ranby Rd until about six years ago, run by Pete and Sue Petryshan, and her parents before them. I used to live next door so it was handy for cans of beer, milk, bread etc.

It's a bicycle shop now.

A few doors up on Greystones Rd there was a whole little row of shops - a butchers on the corner opposite Pete and Sue's, A fishmonger, A greengrocer and a sweet shop run by an old lady, used by the children coming out of the school opposite - all closed down now.

There was one on the corner of Greystones Rd and Ranby Rd until about six years ago, run by Pete and Sue Petryshan, and her parents before them. I used to live next door so it was handy for cans of beer, milk, bread etc.

It's a bicycle shop now.

A few doors up on Greystones Rd there was a whole little row of shops - a butchers on the corner opposite Pete and Sue's, A fishmonger, A greengrocer and a sweet shop run by an old lady, used by the children coming out of the school opposite - all closed down now.

the green grocer you mention would have been AC Hales, on the corner of Ranby and Carrington, they retired in 1990 (god it seems like yesterday), they were my grandparents (Arthur still is)

i remember the old women with the sweet shop across from the school, i went to that school for 3 weeks in the late 70's or v early 80's and popped in there.

the green grocer you mention would have been AC Hales, on the corner of Ranby and Carrington, they retired in 1990 (god it seems like yesterday), they were my grandparents (Arthur still is)

i remember the old women with the sweet shop across from the school, i went to that school for 3 weeks in the late 70's or v early 80's and popped in there.

I remember Arthur(?) Hales, I used to call in for veg every so often. I remember seeing him sealing off the shop doorway by bricking it up and returning it fully to a house after he closed down. I think he hurt his leg sometime after, he seemed to have a pot or something on it for ages.

There was however another greengrocer on the parade of shops I mentioned - it was called The Harvest Bowl, I think.

Woodcocks just up from the white bear (as was :( ) at Ecclesfield, Mrs Woodcock and her Sons ran it and always seemed to look down their nose at you :hihi:

I also remember the little shop that is now houses on High St, bang opposite Greaves Rd, I can't remember it's name but used to go there as a child, the Lady was nice and always used to give our dog a little treat, Aww brings back nice memories I was very small then :)

Hi moonbird, i remember the corner shops you mentioned from my early days in ecclesfield. do you remember " boones " sweet shop which was also just across from the end of greaves road, it was retored a few years ago and is the black and white painted timber framed building. also there was a corner shop at the top of mill road ,the church street end, which became a hairdressers. I used to call there on the way home from school and buy penny arrow bars with the bus fair i had saved by walking home.

IN THE 60'S BECKETS at mosbro up a back street somewhere near the fire station i think

robinsons.used to be on i think valley road

I was brought up in a corner shop... and can remember the jars of fantastic sweets as well as going to the cash and carry to buy the butter we sold loose, the bacon being rolled up for us, and working on the bacon machines and having to clean them down at night ( I was only 13 !) There were a few shops on the Parade, where we lived, at the top of Ridgehill Avenue and Newlands road( I think it was). My mum had the newsagents there, until she died in 1976..