Sheffield corner shops past and present.

Howcroft's in Stannington Road. I remember it from when I was a toddler almost 60 years ago. The shop was opened (as a John Smiths off-licence) by Wilfred Howcroft in 1947. It has opened daily since then (including Christmas Day) and it is still in the family - here's all about it.

I wish I had a bloody cornershop, I wish they'd turn the Far Lees pub into one, a little Tesco extra or whatever.

Tesco Express is certainly recommended. Now that I live in North Lincs. we have one just 3 minutes' walk away and it's excellent - open daily from 7 am to 11 pm and the staff there are just as helpful and friendly as corner shop owners traditionally are..:)

Can anyone remember Knights shop on or near Hammond Street. Apparently I used to kick off so my dad took me up there for sweets. Don't know if it was just a sweet shop.

I lived in Hammond Street between 1954-1958 and apparently there was a sweet shop at the top of the road celled knights. can anyone remember it?

I used to live above the corner shop on Rudyard Road and Treswell Crescent. It was a separate house and the door between the shop and the house was boarded up so we could only use the back door to get in or out. Our post used to be put through the shop door and they'd push it through the boarded up door. Problem was that on giro day they'd open late and a policeman once found me with a bent coat hanger trying to recover my giro off the shop's doormat. That took some explaining.

The other corner shops I remember were on Slinn Street / Heavygate Road and another one on Crookesmoor Road / Elliot Road. The latter being particularly useful as it was an off-licence and you could take a jug and get it filled with beer.

there was a little shop up bowness road at the side of the gennel and up to her closing inthe eighties she still had the original gas lighting and all the original shop fittings and a lot of original stock.mrs Ambler was her name,she kept unwrapped bread in the window which was the cats favorite sleeping place.Many a kid bought their sweets on the way to morley st school!

Can anyone remember Knights shop on or near Hammond Street. Apparently I used to kick off so my dad took me up there for sweets. Don't know if it was just a sweet shop.

The shops I remember on Hammond Street,One was Massio's,on the other corner was Mrs Taylor's where we could buy penny drinks and sit under the bundles of sticks and drink it.Then there was Herberts Half way up the hill you could always go to the back door in an emergency.further down was Auntie Polly's at the side of Auntie Polly's was a chip shop.

I used to live above the corner shop on Rudyard Road and Treswell Crescent. It was a separate house and the door between the shop and the house was boarded up so we could only use the back door to get in or out. Our post used to be put through the shop door and they'd push it through the boarded up door. Problem was that on giro day they'd open late and a policeman once found me with a bent coat hanger trying to recover my giro off the shop's doormat. That took some explaining.

The other corner shops I remember were on Slinn Street / Heavygate Road and another one on Crookesmoor Road / Elliot Road. The latter being particularly useful as it was an off-licence and you could take a jug and get it filled with beer.

The corner shop on Rudyard would that be Baxters fruit shop,Rudyard was not a long road but it had four corner shops in the old days one was Masseys.one was Bockings,and I forget who had the other one near the top of Rudyard and a couple of yards past that was Randy's chip shop.

Tesco Express is certainly recommended. Now that I live in North Lincs. we have one just 3 minutes' walk away and it's excellent - open daily from 7 am to 11 pm and the staff there are just as helpful and friendly as corner shop owners traditionally are..:)

Please consider that Tescos is a mega international company that ships it's goods hundreds if not thousands of miles, forces down the prices of its suppliers whilst paying minimal wages to its employees. Whereas a corner shop is more local and the shop keepers have a genuine interest in their customers and neighbours.

Please consider that Tescos is a mega international company that ships it's goods hundreds if not thousands of miles, forces down the prices of its suppliers whilst paying minimal wages to its employees. Whereas a corner shop is more local and the shop keepers have a genuine interest in their customers and neighbours.
Of course - I'm not so small-minded as to ignore these facts. But as there aren't any traditional corner shops within a mile or more of where I live (and hadn't been any for a decade or more before our Tesco Express opened) then I make no apologies for going to Tesco. If I still lived in Stannington I would shop at Howcroft's..:) Edited by hillsbro
speling...

The corner shop on Rudyard would that be Baxters fruit shop,Rudyard was not a long road but it had four corner shops in the old days one was Masseys.one was Bockings,and I forget who had the other one near the top of Rudyard and a couple of yards past that was Randy's chip shop.

No, it was a general grocers, it was the first shop on the left going down. Next door to us was a man called Ron and his family. The youngest would bring his ferrets round to get rid of the rats in our cellar.

I used to live above the corner shop on Rudyard Road and Treswell Crescent.
I was going to ask the same question as nosy nellie - I remember my mum sending me to the "fruit shop down t' Rudyard" which I think was on the "far" corner of Treswell Crescent away from Langsett Road - I think the property has been demolished. Funny about the coat hanger and the Giro!.:)

.. an off-licence and you could take a jug and get it filled with beer.
Those off-licences were very handy if you needed a mid-evening glass of beer etc. - my grandma used to send me with a jug to Howcroft's on Stannington Road (until the law about under-18s buying alcoholic drinks was changed - or its application became more rigorous - in c. 1957). Memories... Edited by hillsbro

No, it was a general grocers, it was the first shop on the left going down. Next door to us was a man called Ron and his family. The youngest would bring his ferrets round to get rid of the rats in our cellar.

Yes that was Baxters fruit shop I knew Ron and Jean that lived next door I am going back to the fifties and sixties,at that time the fruit shop was the second shop on the left going down Rudyard at the end of Treswell crescent the first one just below Randy's was a front room turned into a shop so not really a corner shop.