Sheffield corner shops past and present.

Hi Susiewusie, We always knew it as Baileys sweet shop. Mr and Mrs Bailey ran it in the 60's and sold lovely lollys and frozen Jubblies!

Further up Handsworth Hill was Smiths sweet shop with a fabulous assortment of sweets in glass jars. No wonder we spent so much time in Butcher Bentall's dentist surgery!:hihi:

Hi sweetcheeks , yes I remember the name now Baileys shop , lovely couple , I used to knock on the back door after hours to get my favourite shampoo which was lemon supersoft . I always got invited in such nice people . And as for Bentall the dentist I always dreaded going there , his hand shook all the time he was doing your teeth, and once the needle broke in my gum . Never been much into dentists since then :o . But needs must :rolleyes:

My childhood was spent on Meadowhead Avenue (S8). Nearby at the X-roads with Annesley Road there were four corner shops: a food shop run by the parents of John Fantham (SWFC) and next door a newsagents etc run by Tommy Hoyland (SUFC). Across the road was a drapers shop run by a Jewish family called Freyd and next door a greengrocers. Sadly, on my last visit there a couple of years ago they have all been converted to domestic use. Oh how I miss those halcyon days of the 50s and 60s. Clearly there is a lesson to be learned from visiting ones roots many years later - don't. They are never the same and I find that quite upsetting when I have such wonderful memories of my childhood. God Bless Sheffield - I will be returning for a holiday next month and will not be trying to follow my childhood - I will stay with my happy memories of friends, local folks and years long gone.

When I was younger the corner shop was where you got things on tick or on strap Another foam of get it now pay at end of week when you got paid 

In the 50s/60s the terraced housing on the old Grammar Street S6 (now gone) had 8 corner shops, 2 more mid-terrace, 3 pubs, 2, maybe 3 chip shops, and one green grocer. The road was perhaps 500 yards long. Some other corner properties showed signs that they too had previously been shops.

What about mrs Thains and mr and mrs Enzer on the corner of Cyclops st known as the top and bottom shop and Gledhalls in the middle of the lump on Grimesthorpe rd

Does anyone know if the house on Clevedon Street on the right past the van was once a shop.  It has a gas lamp attached on a bracket to the wall near the doorway and what appeared to be a shop front can be seen just above and beyond the van. I lived on Adsetts Street from birth in 1943 and it always confused me. Click on this.....http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s14446&prevUrl=http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s14446&prevUrl=http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s14446&prevUrl=v

Edited by PeterR

I lived in Olivet Road, Woodseats, we had a shop partway up that sold just about everything, then an off license. at the top on Cross Chantrey Road my aunt and uncle William and Elsie Ogden also had a shop.

14 hours ago, gaz 786 said:

That was our yard the light is on a lamp Post that ran down the side of the wall no shops only butlers chippy top of street but will stand corrected it was 50 years ago 🤔

Hi  gaz786.

I should have mentioned that I left Grimesthorpe in 1958, 61 years ago, having lived on Adsetts Street since birth in 1943. The apparently shop front half way down Clevedon Street was still the same as on  the pic.  from as far back as my earliest memories. so I'm talking maybe 70 years ago. I remember the chip shop at the top corner too.

Edited by PeterR

On 16/11/2010 at 19:05, tam1 said:

Wondering if the Broomhall shop was the one belonging to Mrs Melluish at the end of Glouecester Street. I grew up in Broomhall and remember it well and also the chippie and Marys grocers shop just up the road.

Probably was docmel died a couple of years ago his name was Mark Melluish

The old shop I remember most clearly from my childhood in the mid-to-late 60's was Beckwith's on Far Lane, Sheff 6. The shop was basically just the downstairs room of a ramshackle old cottage, just opposite what was the old Dial House Working Men's Club. It was run by a friendly  old man called, (unsurprisingly), Mr Beckwith. He always wore one of those old, brown grocer's jackets - like Arkwright from that "Open All Hours" programme -  and he used to whistle a sort of non-stop tuneless tune all the time. My little brother and I only used to go in there to spend our threepenny bits on four-for-a-penny sweets on our walk to and from Malin Bridge school, but I remember our mum and dad always telling us never to go in there because the place was "loppy".  I remember that there was always loads of big, fat, shiny bluebottles buzzing around in there. Mr Beckwith used to sell old fashioned-bacon and butter, which just sat behind the counter in huge slabs. It was never covered or refrigerated in any way and was always covered in loads of the aforementioned bluebottles! Mr Beckwith also used to have an old mangey, tabby-cat in the shop, which used to actually sleep on top of the slab of bacon.  I recall that my dad was always horrified by the lack of hygiene and always threatened to report Mr B to the Council....but he never did.  

Another old-fashioned corner shop that I remember from my childhood was "Smelly Nellie's" in the old Wadsley Village. I think it was somewhere in the Luke Lane area, but I can't remember exactly where it was. My memories of the old Wadsley Village are much vaguer, but I remember Nellie herself as being a very cantankerous and stroppy old lady. Her main custom at the time  was little kids coming in to spend their pennies, but she acted like she hated kids - and her shop window was always full of very unappetising-looking sweeties -like melting, crystallising toffees.... and gob-stoppers with all the colour bleached out of them by the sun beating through the shop window. Oooh! - those were the days, eh? 😁

4 minutes ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

The old shop I remember most clearly from my childhood in the mid-to-late 60's was Beckwith's on Far Lane, Sheff 6. The shop was basically just the downstairs room of a ramshackle old cottage, just opposite what was the old Dial House Working Men's Club. It was run by a friendly  old man called, (unsurprisingly), Mr Beckwith. He always wore one of those old, brown grocer's jackets - like Arkwright from that "Open All Hours" programme -  and he used to whistle a sort of non-stop tuneless tune all the time. My little brother and I only used to go in there to spend our threepenny bits on four-for-a-penny sweets on our walk to and from Malin Bridge school, but I remember our mum and dad always telling us never to go in there because the place was "loppy".  I remember that there was always loads of big, fat, shiny bluebottles buzzing around in there. Mr Beckwith used to sell old fashioned-bacon and butter, which just sat behind the counter in huge slabs. It was never covered or refrigerated in any way and was always covered in loads of the aforementioned bluebottles! Mr Beckwith also used to have an old mangey, tabby-cat in the shop, which used to actually sleep on top of the slab of bacon.  I recall that my dad was always horrified by the lack of hygiene and always threatened to report Mr B to the Council....but he never did.  

Another old-fashioned corner shop that I remember from my childhood was "Smelly Nellie's" in the old Wadsley Village. I think it was somewhere in the Luke Lane area, but I can't remember exactly where it was. My memories of the old Wadsley Village are much vaguer, but I remember Nellie herself as being a very cantankerous and stroppy old lady. Her main custom at the time  was little kids coming in to spend their pennies, but she acted like she hated kids - and her shop window was always full of very unappetising-looking sweeties -like melting, crystallising toffees.... and gob-stoppers with all the colour bleached out of them by the sun beating through the shop window. Oooh! - those were the days, eh? 😁

Identical shop for the old Shiregreener's Firethorn..

Maggie Goulds on Bellhouse rd.

Junction Of Sellers Street from Aizlewood Road, Bardwells would be the first building on the right and my corner shop is just out of shot before that.

I remember as a very small child a corner shop on the opposite corner to where I lived , at the junction of Aizlewood Road and Sellers Street down Abbeydale, literally  a few doors away from Bardwells..
My mother used to send me across the road for some bread and a couple of pence for some sweets, the old lady who's name eludes me used to have a stool in front of the sweet counter so we could climb up and take our pick.
The place had a great fresh bread smell, fresh bread cakes in a tray on the counter, delivered daily, double doors into the shop where only one was ever unlocked, she sold everything from milk to washing powder.
I can't remember when she died (maybe 1975/6), but that was the last time the shop was open and it remained empty   for years.
Long, long gone, but the memory still lingers.

Edited by darylslinn