Sheffield corner shops past and present.

i do.....they were my grandparents.

Arthur, now has very bad alzhimers, and is in a home. my nan died in 2000.

that berkels bacon machine, is in the old church museum, just below hunters bar.

i put a few fotos up many years ago on my website..

http://www.julianhales.co.uk/grandparents.htm

i drove past today after i took my dog in endcliffe park (i named my dog arthur after my granddad, and last year my granddads memory just about totally gone, the last person he could remember was my dog)

Hi, there, cooljules,i've been in your grandparents shop only a few times, when visiting my brother and sister-in-law.(DENIS&BRENDA),who have lived on CARRINGTON for over forty years.They knew your grandparents very well. My wife and i always stayed with them when visiting from CANADA. A few years ago(aprox.15) my daughter and family were staying with them, BRENDA asked my very young grandson what he wanted for tea, and he said fish fingers.Brenda didn't have any in ,so she ran across to your nan's for some. Sitting down to tea later,my grandson exclaimed "these aren't fish fingers like uncle Fred gave me for lunch**,further investigation revealed that FRED had told him that the CADBURY'S chocolate fingers were fish fingers, so he wanted some more.BRENDA is still living there,but unfortunatly my wife and i were backthere this last february,when her brother DENIS passed away.Next time we talk to BRENDA we will give her all the information. She will be saddend by the news of your grandparents,such lovely people as i myself recall. bye for now,eightlegger

I wish I had a bloody cornershop, I wish they'd turn the Far Lees pub into one, a little Tesco extra or whatever. Newfield Green is over 7 minutes walk away, 7 minutes!

I reckon if they did make a shop of it, it would shave my walking time by around 4 minutes, that's some good amount of minutes.

Problem with Gleadless is it's full of hills, hills up to Sainsbury's, hills walking back up to mine from Newfield Green, all these hills.

lol just kidding, 7 minutes walk, not too bad. Doesn't stop me driving there though whenever I need it.

Thers been a lot of activity there this past week, men going in and out.

Anyone remember Goffs in High Hazels Park, Candy Floss and Sherbert.

I remember when staying at grandmas in the 50s a grocers on the corner of Woodbourne Road lovely teacakes and spice in cornered bags.On the other side of the road was a fruit shop , always smelt of over ripe bananas

Off topic, but can you remember the fabulous chippy in what was the front room of a terraced house on Woodbourne Road. :)

I was born/brought up on Liverpool St Attercliffe, we had Flaherty's on the corner of Clay St & Liverpool St, at the other corner (Liverpool St/Brompton Rd) there was the Stringers. At another corner (Brompton Rd/Swallow St) was Brenda O'Connors shop. We had moved into 71 Swallow St by then & lived in the 'shop yard' - in what had been a fish n chip shopin a mid terrace house :) a friend seems to remember his friend John Lawson living there before us? My best friends Nan had a corner shop (corner of Liverpool St/ Leigh St) Rhodes'. They were general stores, then there was Cheney's sweet shop (corner Brompton Rd/Walkland Rd). I have a vague recollection of playing at a friends house from Maltby St, she lived on a corner somewhere on Brompton Rd & that had been a shop & then had only recently been closed down as a shop & we were playing in the empty shop with remnants of what was left behind. I know it was a girl but can't for the life of me remember her name :huh:

Off topic, but can you remember the fabulous chippy in what was the front room of a terraced house on Woodbourne Road. :)

reminds me of the very small chippy up pitsmoor, up catherine street

i do.....they were my grandparents.

Arthur, now has very bad alzhimers, and is in a home. my nan died in 2000.

that berkels bacon machine, is in the old church museum, just below hunters bar.

i put a few fotos up many years ago on my website..

http://www.julianhales.co.uk/grandparents.htm

i drove past today after i took my dog in endcliffe park (i named my dog arthur after my granddad, and last year my granddads memory just about totally gone, the last person he could remember was my dog)

Hi I don't remember the road/shop or your grandparents I'm afraid but so wanted to Thank You for sharing the fotos :D reading about them was fascinating but seeing the pics made it so much more real, a step back in time ...............

I remember when staying at grandmas in the 50s a grocers on the corner of Woodbourne Road lovely teacakes and spice in cornered bags.On the other side of the road was a fruit shop , always smelt of over ripe bananas

Was that on the corner across from Woodbourne Road infants and juniors?

And then there were Melluishes on the corner on Bellefield Street and St Philips Road.

Also Murfins on the corner of Dover Street and Netherthorpe Street where they used to store their crates of empties in the back yard which was accessible to anyone. The kids used to take a couple of tizer bottles out of the crate and take them into the shop to get the 3d return.

The shop keeper couldn't understand why the crates never got full although people were bringing plenty of empties back. It took them quite awhile to cotton on what was happening.:thumbsup:

Two corner shops that spring to mind in Stannington during the 50's and 60's was RHODES on Nethergate and Maud Mettams on Uppergate. Maud used to sell everything from a little corner shop. I remember in one corner was a big barrel of Parafin which she used to pour into a pop bottle supplied by the customer. Then in another corner was one of those big bacon slicers where she would slice bacon. What would they make of it nowadays. Both shops are now long gone and turned back into houses. My sister now lives in Mauds old shop on Uppergate

Two corner shops that spring to mind in Stannington during the 50's and 60's was RHODES on Nethergate and Maud Mettams on Uppergate. Maud used to sell everything from a little corner shop. I remember in one corner was a big barrel of Parafin which she used to pour into a pop bottle supplied by the customer. Then in another corner was one of those big bacon slicers where she would slice bacon. What would they make of it nowadays. Both shops are now long gone and turned back into houses. My sister now lives in Mauds old shop on Uppergate

Don't forget Mrs Rushbys on Sheldon Lane, her cheese rolls were to die for.