Sheffield corner shops past and present.

With a respectful nod to the thread about iconic Sheffield stores,I'd like to bring up the subject of "corner shops",please feel free to add a little artistic licence here,it doesn't strictly have to be,or have been on a corner.;)

I'll start with a really unusual little one that used to be on the corner of Bole Hill road and Waller road at Walkley up until about '78.It's now converted back to a house.I remember a frequent turnover of owners and very often a lack of stock,it was probably not worth the hike up the hill for residents of Waller,Linekar etc...:(

Leapers on Bell Hagg road always seemed to do OK though.

Any memories?

I wish I had a bloody cornershop, I wish they'd turn the Far Lees pub into one, a little Tesco extra or whatever. Newfield Green is over 7 minutes walk away, 7 minutes!

I reckon if they did make a shop of it, it would shave my walking time by around 4 minutes, that's some good amount of minutes.

Problem with Gleadless is it's full of hills, hills up to Sainsbury's, hills walking back up to mine from Newfield Green, all these hills.

lol just kidding, 7 minutes walk, not too bad. Doesn't stop me driving there though whenever I need it.

Edited by Forumosaurus

Having spent the earlier part of my childhood in Crookes i remember "Nancy,s" she was a fruit and veg store just up from st lukes on northfield rd and "Copleys" opp st lukes o the memories :)

ahhh...the little sweet shop that used to be on the corner of Nether Edge Road and Sheldon Road...sweeties in jars that had to be weighed out into little white paper bags.

John and Val's on Middlewood Road otherwise known as Candy Fayre (i think?)

jennings at the bottom of brincliffe edge allotments was a sweet shop and used to sell sherbet.

Groves on Abbeydale road by Lynmouth road was a general shop and before sainsburys you'd get virtually everything you needed from that place. They even let you pay in money rready for the xmas shopping throughout the year.

More recent than that is the sweet shop at the bottom of woodseats road, I often wonder what happened to Fiona who worked there as her parents owned it and the one up in Dore for a time.

Woodcocks just up from the white bear (as was :( ) at Ecclesfield, Mrs Woodcock and her Sons ran it and always seemed to look down their nose at you :hihi:

I also remember the little shop that is now houses on High St, bang opposite Greaves Rd, I can't remember it's name but used to go there as a child, the Lady was nice and always used to give our dog a little treat, Aww brings back nice memories I was very small then :)

Jessingers at the top of Twentywell lane was always good for cider and party sevens and "The shop on't end" at Lowedges was always good for two fags and a book of matches when I were a nipper.:D:D

Woodcocks just up from the white bear (as was :( ) at Ecclesfield, Mrs Woodcock and her Sons ran it and always seemed to look down their nose at you :hihi:

I also remember the little shop that is now houses on High St, bang opposite Greaves Rd, I can't remember it's name but used to go there as a child, the Lady was nice and always used to give our dog a little treat, Aww brings back nice memories I was very small then :)

I seem to remember the shop on the corner of High Street & Feoffes Road was called Thorpe's at one time. As I recall, it had black and yellow tiles on the front. There was an off licence attached to it at one time, too.

I grew up in Tinsley,can anyone remember Bosworths shop on Norborough road? with all the jars of sweets in the window,spoilt for choice! And a bit further down,Mollys beer off? I remember a little fruit shop half way down Raby street,cant remember the name though. It brings back some happy memories of growing up round Tinsley in the 70s/early 80s.

When I was younger there was a great little convenient shop on Holgate Rd next to what is now the Himalaya take away. Unfortunately it burned down a few years ago and was never rebuilt, which is a shame as I live not too far away from there now so could do with a local shop like that. If I have a win on the lottery I just might set up another little shop there !

Frith's at the corner of Talbot Place and Duke St. late 1940s. They used to dispense beer into jugs that customers brought in with them. People would saunter off back down the street with their open jugs of ale. I was just a nipper then so i just watched it all.