First South Yorkshire - January 2010 fares increase

That's a total cop-out from the Lib-Dems. They are the people in the position to do something about it now. Blaming the Tories for nationalising them and Labour for not re-nationalising them is basically washing their hands of their responsibility as our Council. You'd think it wasn't within their power to do anything from that statement, which is nonsense.

To be fair to the Lib Dems, the council don't have any power over bus companies except for the Sheffield Bus Agreement. The government's traffic commissioner has power to take action over bus operators that breach their operating licence, but that covers areas such as standards of maintanence and reliability of operation.

However the Lib Dems should take a look on how some of their actions are increasing costs for First.

One example is non-enforcement of bus priority gates and lanes and relaxation of restrictions meaning longer journey times and a less reliable service. This means more fuel used along with more vehicles and drivers required to provide the same level of service. The lowered reliability also means passengers desert the service making the service less profitable plus more cars adding to the congestion that is delaying the buses and making them unreliable in the first place!

Another example is the council's refusal to agree under the bus agreement to let First prune loss making services - this means the other routes that are well used are having to subsidise them.

I'm picking my daughter up in Skipton tomorrow and travelling by train. I have just paid an extra £3.50 for a "Plusbus" ticket, which basically gives me bus and tram travel around Sheffield on ANY bus that is part of the Plusbus network. Both First and Stagecoach are part of this......makes you wonder how they can charge £4 a day ticket just for First around Sheffield

Yes, anyone whose journey involves both bus and train should know about these deals: http://www.plusbus.info

Those who combine tram and train would also be wise to know you can add a tram only dayrider to your train ticket for the discounted price of £2.50, this deal is set up by East Midlands Trains and is available from their ticket offices.

Anyone know if the £9 weekly specials are going up as well? We use the 752 school bus and 52's.

yet again the people of sheffield are ripped off by this company 1.50 rise in a seven day saver is a joke this company is complete joke and so basically we are paying for the drivers wage rise . the quicker something is done with this company the better they cant even provide a good service. with stage coach starting a service near where i live it may be longer but will save me a lot of money.

WHAT ??????????

A day saver increased by 80p ???????????? £4 to £4.80p ????????????

Oh come on ....as someone has already stated on here ...they really are taking the **** now ......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

It's about time the pensioners fares were reintroduced ..... those 40p's would cover a lot of these so called 'costs'.

Does anyone on here know what happened to the group that was around a couple of years ago ...think it was ....'we want our buses back' ....or something similar. We need to make our voices heard and protest loudly about these increases.

It's about time the pensioners fares were reintroduced ..... those 40p's would cover a lot of these so called 'costs'.

But would it??? When pensioners had to pay 40p the bus fares still went up

The last time there was an increase in bus fares , the low income / unemployed weekly ticket shot up £3.... yes, £3 .... a week .....!!!!!!!

God knows how much more (assuming they still offer this ticket ) they'll want this time .

I've sent my letter to David Blunkett. It's gotten beyond a joke now, something has to change.

if everybody over rode paid the lesser fair and got off where they wanted a lot off the drivers wouldn't give a monkeys so long as the money they payed was correct (well the descent ones) my neighbour hasn't had a pay rise yet from first but he has also put his application forms in at alternative bus companies, lets hope veolia or tm or arriva or stagecoach take over.