First South Yorkshire - January 2010 fares increase

I'll catch First buses still.....I have to in order to get to work. I won't pay them directly anymore though as I promised previously. I now buy a Travelmaster ticket rather than a First saver.

Appreciate it costs more to have a car but so glad I have been off the bus journey for two months now. Even with the cost of a cheap car and expensive insurance so so glad I got my drivers liscence. Might cost me a bit more but I have made it up in time with my son and I don't have to pay into the coffers of First - total thieves in their fares. They cancel at a snowflake, don't turn up on time and reduce the service while raising the price - disgusting - like the drivers though.

"First pulling out of Dronfield years ago looks great for us now."

Not sure who quoted this but. I have always argued the likes of First & Stagecoach agree to keep out of one another's way in certain cases. This being one. Elsewhere as example, in East Anglia Stagecoach own 99% of Cambridgeshire's bus network, but are nowhere to be seen in Norfolk and Suffolk where First almost monopolise. I also suspect bus and train operators act likewise. Whatever happened to the X32, which used to be full most of the time, it was and would still be among the best public transport links between Sheffield, Barnsley & Leeds? And am I right in thinking you can no longer catch a direct bus from Meadowhall to Barnsley? Additionally, though the old 265 remains it is much less frequent than in times past. And why is a train your only option between Sheffield & Worksop?

"First pulling out of Dronfield years ago looks great for us now."

Not sure who quoted this but. I have always argued the likes of First & Stagecoach agree to keep out of one another's way in certain cases. This being one. Elsewhere as example, in East Anglia Stagecoach own 99% of Cambridgeshire's bus network, but are nowhere to be seen in Norfolk and Suffolk where First almost monopolise. I also suspect bus and train operators act likewise. Whatever happened to the X32, which used to be full most of the time, it was and would still be among the best public transport links between Sheffield, Barnsley & Leeds? And am I right in thinking you can no longer catch a direct bus from Meadowhall to Barnsley? Additionally, though the old 265 remains it is much less frequent than in times past. And why is a train your only option between Sheffield & Worksop?

Stagecoach pretty much ran First off the road in Dronfield after changing the routes of the 43/44 to serve the estates that First ran their 15/16/18 minibuses on and because Stagecoach charged lower fares and ran in the evening most passengers switched and First withdrew their service on the basis of 'not enough demand'.

TM Travel (and before that Thompsons, Ladyline and Sid's Coach) have successfully kept the 285/293/294 going in Dronfield as it fills gaps where Stagecoach choose not to operate.

There aren't direct buses from Meadowhall to Barnsley anymore due to insufficient demand, mainly due to the train service being so good, 265 still provides a regular Sheffield-Barnsley bus service mainly used by those getting on and off at points inbetween.

Sheffield to Worksop no bus operator has chosen to run such a service, presumably they don't see a profitable business and the train service isn't too bad. There are regular buses Rotherham to Worksop and limited services from Meadowhall and Crystal Peaks to Worksop although I believe these have to be funded by SYPTE as they are not commercially viable.