First South Yorkshire - January 2010 fares increase

stagecoach for me every time anyway

It's about time someone in power pulled their finger out and took away all bus routes from First. They don't have a god-given right to run those routes and the way they treat us is scandalous; reducing services, not running scheduled services, charging us substantially more for the privelige than other cities like Manchester for the same thing etc.

How on Earth do they justify increasing the Sheffield Day 'Saver' by 20% to the same price as a SY one? 10% for a Weekly 'Saver'?

It's no longer worth me going by bus instead of car. How stupid is that?

Just a reminder AGAIN that you cant take the bus routes away from first , the majority of bus routes that first operate on are commercial therefore you cant take them away , if someone else whishes to compete on the same route then that is up to them

This is their reaction to it:

Cllr Ian Auckland, Liberal Democrat Cabinet Member for Sustainable Transport and Streetscene said

"Frankly I'm outraged at this plan. The FirstBus approach seems to be based on a shrinking network with fewer passengers paying more and more for a worse service, with the taxpayer struggling to plug a few gaps. As far as I'm concerned this is a bus service with the destination 'dead end'. Sheffield deserves better.

"This will be a huge blow to passengers who rely on public transport to get around Sheffield. As a Council we will not be entering into any kind of agreement with bus companies that involves unjustified fare increases or service reductions. Sheffielders expect, and deserve, better than that.

"We have the Tories to blame for privatising buses in the first place. However, it is nothing short of a national scandal that since 1997 the Labour Government have sat back and done nothing whilst private companies exploit bus passengers. It's high time that the buses were brought back into the control of local people.

"As a Council that is what we are trying to do, but Labour inaction and Tory hostility to our plans may scupper this."

That's a total cop-out from the Lib-Dems. They are the people in the position to do something about it now. Blaming the Tories for nationalising them and Labour for not re-nationalising them is basically washing their hands of their responsibility as our Council. You'd think it wasn't within their power to do anything from that statement, which is nonsense.

I agree it's totally out of order. However, its not inevitable.

If we had a Government with the minerals to stand up to them and regulate the buses then we wouldnt have this problem. You have to ask why Labour have done nothing since 1997.

Exactly, "if"! But we don't. The fares will rise in January and I won't be surprised if we're having the same conversation a few months down the line when they put them up again.

It was reported on the SY Transport forum last night that the fare prices by First South Yorkshire would be rising in January by up to around 9% above inflation from january 3rd 2010 and this now seems to have hit the press this morning.

Here are the full details of the forthcoming fare increases from First South Yorkshire:

Adult single rises from 80p to 85p;

Adult single rises from £1.20 to £1.30;

Adult singlen rises from £1.50 to £1.60;

Adult single rises from £1.80 to £1.95;

Adult single rises from £2.20 to £2.40;

Adult single rises from £2.50 to £2.70;

Adult single rises from £2.80 to £3.00;

Adult single rises from £3.20 to £3.50;

FirstDay SY rises from £4.50 to £4.80;

FirstDay Sheffield rises from £4.00 to £4.80;

FirstDay Rotherham rises from £4.00 to £4.30;

FirstDay Doncaster rises from £4.00 to £4.30;

FirstDay Group rises from £8.00 to £8.50;

FirstWeek SY rises from £18.00 to £19.50;

FirstWeek Sheffield rises from £16.00 to £17.50;

FirstWeek Rotherham rises from £15.00 to £16.00;

FirstWeek Doncaster rises from £15.00 to £16.00

FirstMonth SY rises from £68.00 to £74.70;

FirstMonth Sheffield rises from £60.00 to £65.90;

FirstMonth Rotherham rises from £54.00 to £58.00

FirstMonth Doncaster rises from £54.00 to £58.00

Enjoy!!! :hihi:

LONG LIVE THE CAR!

Could there be any link to that pay rise the drivers recently got or is that just pure coincidence?

been talking to a stage coach driver today...apparently there is going to be a big shake up with the buses in january.....possibly bigger buses for route 88 ( at last ) and extra buses on mainly first routes such as the number 20

hopefully this is true and not just chat..

well i hope stage coach put buses on the 46 route ,they would put first straight out of buisiness on this route nobody that uses this route can stand them ,but we have no option but to use this crappy over priced service , but i will start walking from wincobank to firth park for the number 88 in the new year ,come on stage coach run a service from wincobank to town please

been talking to a stage coach driver today...apparently there is going to be a big shake up with the buses in january.....possibly bigger buses for route 88 ( at last ) and extra buses on mainly first routes such as the number 20

hopefully this is true and not just chat..

Stagecoach are taking over the evening and Sunday service on the 20 from end of January.

Not sure what fares changes Stagecoach or TM Travel have planned but at the moment both do all day tickets for £3 - if you live on a route they serve why not try their service?!

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/sheffield

http://www.tmtravel.co.uk

http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/timetables/sheffield

Are we all agreed then? Boycot First?

Let's abstain from the vile creature until the shareholders decide to take their millions elsewhere.

Without knowing the actual figures, I'm sure buses don't use that much fuel. They still achieve 10-15 mpg as far as I'm aware, So when your paying for a£1.60 single for a 10 min 2 mile journey to town the actual cost of fuel, vehicle maintenance, insurance etc would be something like 10% of what you pay, and the rest would go to massive corporate over heads.

If buses were 50p for a day rider pretty much everyone would use them, no questions asked, and I'm sure they could still turn a profit .

I'm picking my daughter up in Skipton tomorrow and travelling by train. I have just paid an extra £3.50 for a "Plusbus" ticket, which basically gives me bus and tram travel around Sheffield on ANY bus that is part of the Plusbus network. Both First and Stagecoach are part of this......makes you wonder how they can charge £4 a day ticket just for First around Sheffield

All the more reason for me to drive everywhere lol, for the price of two Sheffield day savers, I can buy a weeks worth of petrol.

lol Riding buses is a mugs/rich mans game.

Never again shall I refer to a bus as a peasant wagon, when it costs more to ride than a car hahaha.