Advice re M1 to Nottingham please?

The logistics company that I drive for monitor the motorway statistics for sheffield and surrounds, things like roadworks accidents etc and the last six months figures for the journey between junction 34 and 26 state that there is a 68% chance of severe delays between junctions 28 to 30 because of accident probability.. these figures are for Monday mornings between 6.30 and 9.30 in the morning. Get the train and at least you wont arrive stressed out..;)

Thanks for all this.

Train was a good idea. I checked the train times from Barnsley but only got these ones - 06:38, to arrive at 08:02 or 06:58 to arrive at 08:50. Not great. Chairboy, the one you found arriving at 08.21 sounds better, but I would have to factor in the Barnsley connection too.

At least I know I've ruled out driving! Just now weighing up between the train, or staying over on Sunday.

You can park and ride from next to J26 or about a mile or so from J27 and get the tram in to the centre of Notts. Beats the crap out of driving in

I'm glad you've considered the train or staying over the night before - we're heading for frosty nights, which means foggy mornings and more accidents!

Laterooms.com is useful for hotel bookings, if you decide on that route - and most places aren't that busy on sunday nights, so shouldn't be too expensive

Or do what I do sometimes - email a heap of hotels with 'I have this much to spend on a hotel for the night, can you accommodate me?', and see what happens. They can only say no. We've had some fantastic bargains like that

Maybe the train would be easier.

take the train if you can- the M1 is a nightmare with the roadworks at the minute.

If it's Nottingham centre, you'd probably be better getting the train.

Is it groundhog day?

I think you would be better getting the train.

Thanks, everyone, for all the advice - you've been enormously helpful. I have now decided to stay over on the Sunday night and have a room organised. I was lucky to be offered something for free from someone I'm working with, but may well try your approach another time, Strix. Sounds interesting....