Advice re M1 to Nottingham please?

Hi,

I have to drive down to Nottingham on Monday morning to arrive for 9:00. It would normally take me an hour and 15mins (from Barnsley) but I've never driven down at that time of day before and I don't want to be late. Could anyone advise me how long I should allow myself at that time? (If you know how long from Sheffield, that would be helpful to know too.)

Thanks for any advice.

On a Monday morning, with the roadworks as they are at the moment, it could take you an hour 15 to get to the parkway turnoff from where you are. Mondays rush hour is like a car park.

I'd allow a lot more if your appointment is important, even if it means getting there too early and having to hang around.

You have the average speed checks at junction 28, 50 mph. rush hour to deal with, I would say set off at 6-45 get there in plenty of time and park up, if your early enough have a nice suppa tea in a cafe.

Hi,

I have to drive down to Nottingham on Monday morning to arrive for 9:00. It would normally take me an hour and 15mins (from Barnsley) but I've never driven down at that time of day before and I don't want to be late. Could anyone advise me how long I should allow myself at that time? (If you know how long from Sheffield, that would be helpful to know too.)

Thanks for any advice.

last sunday it took me 90 minutes from jct 30 to east midlands at 5.30pm....give yourself a good 3 hours and like alex says better to be an hour early than 10 minutes late...

Thanks - your replies are really helpful.

It sounds pretty dire (3 hours!) and I'm glad I checked it out. I'm wondering if it might be wiser to stay in Nottingham on the Sunday night....

Is this Nottingham town centre or do you have to go through town? I certainly know the route as I've worked at the racecourse many times but never had to get there for 9am!

My advice as ever is to give yourself plenty of time, one only gets irritated with delays when every traffic light seems to be against you.

My preffered route would be - J33 but I used J29m on M1 trips, exit for the A610 into Nottingham.

It depends on your destination but you could go to the Tuxford roundabout near the A1 and follow the signs to Nottingham or Leicester, near the Carlton suburb.

Thanks - your replies are really helpful.

It sounds pretty dire (3 hours!) and I'm glad I checked it out. I'm wondering if it might be wiser to stay in Nottingham on the Sunday night....

Maybe the train would be easier.

take the train if you can- the M1 is a nightmare with the roadworks at the minute.

If it's Nottingham centre, you'd probably be better getting the train.