Have you had a computer virus?

Nope. And I should probably use something other than IE8. I'm my own worst enemy :hihi:

But, with reference to the context of the thread, you will notice that we already seem to be discussing alternatives, solutions and considerations which are way past your average user-surfer, who simply expects the pre-packed solution to "just work" and keep the nasties away ;)

Is Joe Blogs in the street aware that Apple and Linux are far safer OS to use, where malware is concerned?

Is Joe Blogs in the street aware that certain browsers are much less conductive of infections?

Is Joe Blogs in the street aware that windows updates and firewall need to be enabled and regularly checked (a surprising amount of malware will switch them off)?

Is Joe Blogs in the street aware that AV/spyware/malware AIO or discrete apps need a daily update (at least) these days?

etc, etc.

It is about education, indeed.

Edited by L00b

Fair enough, I'm feeling a bit rough today so should probably leave SF alone :D

Well, since even iPhones get viruses now (admittedly, only jailbroken ones), I don't think you can say anything or anywhere is 'safe'. Just 'safer' (relative to others, and at a given moment in timem, until the next malware comes along). Heck, even OS/2 and Warp workstations get their own (and AV packages to combat same)! See the edit in my earlier post ;)

As for doing "dangerous or stupid things", do you usually classify surfing eBay auctions as such :huh:

Jailbroken = using hacked firmware and only vulnerable if you fail to change the default password.

I've never claimed anything is 100% safe, but if you weren't using Windows not a single one of the trojans you got would have run. The risks using windows are far far higher than using OSX or linux.

I don't believe that you got infected from ebay. If you did then Windows really is the steaming pile of excrement you have made it out to be. Why anyone would continue to use such an unsafe system is beyond me.

Of all the options available to you Windows is the least safe- using IE as your browser is wilful stupidity.

Edited by zongamin

Looks like I'm not the only one feeling rough today :hihi:

Well, since even iPhones get viruses now (admittedly, only jailbroken ones)

The only reason iPhones are getting viruses is because idiots are installing SSH and not changing the default password. That's basically like you or me going into a dodgy neighbourhood and leaving a laptop there, logged in with all our documents, contacts and maybe even banking details on.

Getting a virus = FAIL... you are either browsing dodgy websites or have not yet found Avast (free) or Powersuite (free) or IOBIT security 360 (free) seek and ye shall find... ( Think Grahame said that) :D:D

Getting a virus = FAIL... you are either browsing dodgy websites or have not yet found... IOBIT security 360 (free)....

Not since their detection rates dropped by over 50% when it's database was proven to have been lifted from Malwarebytes and subsequently threatened with legal action.

google

I have a Mac and yes, I have had a virus, although that was entirely my own fault as I was trying to crack some software.

When was this?

What operating system version?

What happened exactly to allow this virus to get into your system?

When was this?

What operating system version?

What happened exactly to allow this virus to get into your system?

I'm assuming the poster meant he installed a trojan, by deliberately trying to install a cracked copy of ilife, as there are no active viruses for OSX.

Edited by zongamin

Even more bad news for anyone using Windows

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/10/mass_web_attack/

A security researcher has identified a new attack that has infected almost 300,000 webpages with links that direct visitors to a potent cocktail of malicious exploits.

The code looks for insecure versions of Adobe Flash, Internet Explorer, and several other Microsoft applications, and when they are detected it exploits them to surreptitiously install malware known as Backdoor.Win3.Buzus.croo. The rootkit-enabled program logs banking credentials and may do other nefarious bidding, Landesman said.

If you really have to use Windows (and I don't believe there is a good reason why any home user should), then at least get everything up to date, and STOP USING INTERNET EXPLORER.

Anyone who cares about security should seriously consider moving to OSX or Linux.

If you really have to use Windows (and I don't believe there is a good reason why any home user should), then at least get everything up to date, and STOP USING INTERNET EXPLORER.

Anyone who cares about security should seriously consider moving to OSX or Linux.

Ahh, yes, the average home user is certainly competent enough to use linux arnt they?, and the shelves at Game etc are heaving with linux compatible games. What do you think the average home user uses their computer for?

What do you think the average home user uses their computer for?

Let's assume that we are talking about the average home user, and that they choose Ubuntu

Web Browsing - Firefox is installed

Email - Either via Webmail or use Evolution, or install Thunderbird

Word/Excel Doc - Open Office is installed

Photo Editting - Gimp -ok its not photoshop, but its more than good enough for most users, comes with the install

Music Playback/iPod syncing - Rhythmbox or Songbird are installed

If you must play games (most people dont), then dual boot in Windows when you want to play, for everything else, use Ubuntu, or run the unnacceptable risk of using Windows.

Even more bad news for anyone using Windows

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/10/mass_web_attack/

A security researcher has identified a new attack that has infected almost 300,000 webpages with links that direct visitors to a potent cocktail of malicious exploits.

Users of Avira Antivir (even the free version) visiting the webpages with a hidden iframe pointing to the malicious site referenced would have been warned by a detection of HTML/Infected.WebPage.Gen as far back as November 3rd, when it was also added to (free) blocklists and Hosts files.

There's more than one way to protect against threats like this if you use windows.